Is it possible?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MotoMex25

Reaction score
Is it possible/easy to install a 3-piece radio/equalizer out of a 94 and out it into an 88 that has the regular radio with bass/treble adjustments.

I can't find any schematics that include the radio, equalizer and CDM. I know the parts will interchange physically on the outside, just don't know what it'd entail electronically.

CorvairGeek

Reaction score
AFAIK, it should work. I don't recall any wiring differences. You can even swap the Control Data Module (CDM, tuner/amp, above accelerator pedal) between EQ and non-EQ, but they don't work quite right (but they will make sound).

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Did you look at the wire diagrams in the service manual? It will explain radio options, speakers and wire routing. And connectors.
Is an 88 dash still the square body like my 86 K3500 ?

MotoMex25

Reaction score
Did you look at the wire diagrams in the service manual? It will explain radio options, speakers and wire routing. And connectors.
Is an 88 dash still the square body like my 86 K3500 ?
I found one diagram but it doesn't show the CDM or the cassette player. 88 Was the first year to switch from the square body.

MotoMex25

Reaction score
AFAIK, it should work. I don't recall any wiring differences. You can even swap the Control Data Module (CDM, tuner/amp, above accelerator pedal) between EQ and non-EQ, but they don't work quite right (but they will make sound).
I understand what you mean when you say that the replacement (upgraded) CDM might not work quite right (with the original radio and cassette player, but will produce sound. But, if you were to replace the radio, CDM, and cassette player to the equalizer setup, would the factory wiring still allow all of it work work properly then. I don't quite understand the "data communications" side of the the radio.

GMCTRUCKS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
To me the best thing I did was remove my EQ and installed a Alpine stereo cd player with hook up for my iPods so that’s all I hear now is my iPods just one has over 15k songs so I love it.

LTC_

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
All 3 components in my 89 are out of different vehicles. I hard wired a Bluetooth receiver in to the cassette player harness. IMHO best way to go.

Last edited: