88-94 Factory Stereo Info

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
I have no idea when I got the truck everything was gone but the control head and the harness has been cut of it. Really want to hook it up just for clock function so its not blank screen sitting there

Wanna send it to me? I'll solder in a new harness and I'll even send back a CDM with it. The CDM only needs a ground, battery, ignition, and the dimmer lines if you want the display to dim when you turn the lights on. Unfortunately the head needs the CDM to do anything, even just display the clock lol

Dropped88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wanna send it to me? I'll solder in a new harness and I'll even send back a CDM with it. The CDM only needs a ground, battery, ignition, and the dimmer lines if you want the display to dim when you turn the lights on. Unfortunately the head needs the CDM to do anything, even just display the clock lol

I actually had planned doing all that just havent got there lol. Do appreciate the offer and I may take you up on it but not till I pull truck apart for paint

Insert Quarter

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Question - when looking for non-eq CDM's, is there a particular model number that's preferred, or just any non-eq CDM with the newer style heat sink?

I currently have the 16072780 that came with my '89 Scottsdale and I ran outputs for an external amp because one of the channels was bad. But I'd like to recap a CDM and do away with the external amp so just curious what to look for.

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
The only non eq cdm I have is the 16172115 with the updated board and heat sink. It works pretty well. Other than that, you'll just have to reference the other part numbers in the first post.

Kkortman112

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
After seeing you guys talk about this I almost want to find and install a factory stereo back in my truck, I hate having it clear over in the middle of the dash and miss having the clock right above the HVAC controls. The only downside is I'm spoiled being able to bluetooth to my phone because I use Spotify to listen to all my music lol!

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
After seeing you guys talk about this I almost want to find and install a factory stereo back in my truck, I hate having it clear over in the middle of the dash and miss having the clock right above the HVAC controls. The only downside is I'm spoiled being able to bluetooth to my phone because I use Spotify to listen to all my music lol!

The Retrosound Santa Cruz M4 ticks all those boxes, not cheap though at $400.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_068SANTACR/RetroSound-Santa-Cruz-M4.html?tp=49934

I'm pretty sure there's a way to add Bluetooth audio streaming to the older factory stereos as well, I know it's possible with the '95+ units.

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
It'd be as simple as adding aux, just get a Bluetooth unit that runs on 12v and has RCA pre-outs. Run it the same way you would the aux in on the deck side. Or just install the aux jack and use a stereo plug to RCA cable. Then you have the best of both.

Kkortman112

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I know it's not an EQ deck but going to try and get this system in the top picture. It's out of the parts truck I got my grill, power door guts, HVAC controller and gauge face from. Truck only had 140K miles on it. Researching FM bluetooth adapters so I can use my phone and Spotify to listen to music. The bottom picture is the Sony I have currently but just don't like it being over in the middle of the dash lol!

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
Well after yet another salvage yard run, I now have a 16140942 CDM from a Buick. Had it all hooked up to test whether it'd work with the truck head and cassette (of course it does), when I looked over at my sheet and realized the 0942 comes in the trucks... Not only that, but I already have one FROM a truck LOL. Figures.

I really wanted to find a Bose unit. Couldn't. Pics are hard to come by as well, I can't find whether any Bose stereos came with the 5-EQ. Where in the trunk of these cars that have their CDMs back there are they?? The Corvette and Cadillac CDMs are supposedly back there but damned if I could find one in any of the cars I looked into.