88-94 alternate to A pillar gage pod

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Moparmat2000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hi Y'all,

I did this mod about 15 years ago using a stock GM storage pocket. I moved my stereo to the center of the dash, and this storage bin never seemed handy to me. At the time i was intending on putting a whipplecharger supercharger on my truck so in went VDO night design gages with backlit pointers to somewhat match my factory gages. I never got the whipplecharger, so my boost gage never saw boost. They are quite old now the vac gage sticks. I will prob go with some autometers or speed hut gages to replace these in the future.

Anyway, i was never a fan of A pillar gage pods. They look tacked on to me. So i made my GM dash pocket into a clean looking gage mount.

I was thinking of either making these sheetmetal insert panels and drilling the 2 holes for the gages, and maybe selling the inserts as a DIY type of thing, or offer up a template for a few dollars with DIY instructions

Heres pix
Matt

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Funny; I went vacuum/boost for the same reason, and also never ended up boosting it. ;) Totally agreed with you about A-pillar pods; never liked 'em.

I used the AMI GMP-333 pocket instead, because it has the lip on it and allowed me to keep the stereo remote in there along with the gauges.

The recessed installation also mimics the dash cluster. I used Autometer Z series gauges for the black face, white letters, and orange needles - not a perfect match to the factory gauge cluster, but closer than most.

Vacuum/boost and transmission temperature:

Richard

DuallyDave

Reaction score
Hi Y'all,

I did this mod about 15 years ago using a stock GM storage pocket. I moved my stereo to the center of the dash, and this storage bin never seemed handy to me. At the time i was intending on putting a whipplecharger supercharger on my truck so in went VDO night design gages with backlit pointers to somewhat match my factory gages. I never got the whipplecharger, so my boost gage never saw boost. They are quite old now the vac gage sticks. I will prob go with some autometers or speed hut gages to replace these in the future.

Anyway, i was never a fan of A pillar gage pods. They look tacked on to me. So i made my GM dash pocket into a clean looking gage mount.

I was thinking of either making these sheetmetal insert panels and drilling the 2 holes for the gages, and maybe selling the inserts as a DIY type of thing, or offer up a template for a few dollars with DIY instructions

Heres pix
Matt

That looks really good !
I was thinking of putting rocker switches there. I would be interested in a kit for rockers.

90halfton

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Was planning on putting a small tach in mine and making it out of aluminum diamond plate and powdercoating it. Have not got around to it yet but its in the plans, just like a lot of other ideas ive had lol.

Dylan1991_1500

Long Bed Owner
Reaction score
I am a big fan of VDO gauges. I have Volts, Vac and Oil PSI in my autocross truck. They are the Vision series and they have a nice clean look to them.

Hi Y'all,

Heres pix
Matt

Moparmat2000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I am also looking into speedhut gages. Fully customizable. Also since a whipplecharger is now out of the question i will prob put in vac, and oil temp.

Last edited:

HankHill_K2500

Sweet sweet propane
Reaction score
That looks good. I was wanting to put a tach gauge there or maybe rocker switches if I got a winch. Did you make that insert out of sheet metal? I wish there were aftermarket gauges close to the moonies haha, I was considering making my own.

Moparmat2000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That looks good. I was wanting to put a tach gauge there or maybe rocker switches if I got a winch. Did you make that insert out of sheet metal? I wish there were aftermarket gauges close to the moonies haha, I was considering making my own.

I made mine out of .020" thick aluminum sheetmetal.

You break the melted plastic tabs that hold the outer part or finished outer frame of the GM pocket lip on, then you shave about the same thickness as the metal or plastic sheet you are sandwiching in between both pocket pieces off the front of the pocket itself to give clearance for the halves to fit tightly back together, with your new insert in between them, and glue both halves back together with the sheetmetal or plastic sandwiched in the middle. I used JB weld, and some heavy duty elastic bands wrapped over it squeezing it together until dry.

Last but not least, cut the back of the pocket out to run all your wiring.