88-89 Tailgate straps

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IIRC my 88 also had/has little rubber blocks on the side rail to keep the straps from rattling when the tailgate was closed. I'll have to go out and confirm it later. The PO converted it to cables before I bought it.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I remember riding around on the folded down tailgate with my brothers every weekend in my fathers 67 Pontiac Catalina station wagon, going to the dump. Until one of my brothers fell off. He was ok, a bit of road rash. That ruined that fun!

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IIRC my 88 also had/has little rubber blocks on the side rail to keep the straps from rattling when the tailgate was closed. I'll have to go out and confirm it later. The PO converted it to cables before I bought it.
Yep, I went out and confirmed it has them. I'm just not sure they only came with the straps but, my cables line up great with them too.

You must be registered for see images attach

AuroraGirl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yes. they can still rattle on themselves but in my opinion for someone to ever get worked up over that sound you would have to be looking for things to complain about.

AuroraGirl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

there is a TSB about if it rattles to switch to the cable

Number: 91-498-10

Section: 10

Date: APRIL 1992

Corporate Bulletin No.: 261502

ASE No.: B1

Subject:
TAILGATE CABLE ASSEMBLY RATTLES

Model and Year:
1988-91 C/K TRUCKS

Some owners of 1988-1991 C/K vehicles may comment that they experience rattles emanating from the tailgate link arm assembly. The rattle is a result of excessive play between the two halves of the metal link arm and between the link arm and the mating components.

This condition may be corrected by replacing both the left and right hand metal link arms (Figure 1) with rubber cables (P/N 15675385 (LH) and 15675386 (RH))(Figure 2). These rubber cables were designed to fit more securely against the latch to eliminate the excessive play between the two halves of the link arm.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

1.Lower and support the tailgate.

2.Lift the link arm assemblies off the striker bolts.

3.Remove the six bolts (three on each side) attaching the latch assemblies to the tailgate (Figure 1).

4.Remove the striker bolts from the pickup box.

5.Install the latch assemblies with the redesigned rubber cables (P/N 15675385 (LH) and 15675386 (RH)).

6.Install the six bolts (three on each side) into the latch assemblies (Figure 2).

7.Tighten the bolts attaching the cables to the tailgate to 25 N-m (18 lbs.ft.).

Important:
DO NOT torque the bolts over 25 N-m (18 lbs.ft.). Exceeding the torque specifications could cause the cable assembly to catch against the latch assembly.

8.Install new striker bolts (P/N 15673252). Torque the striker bolts to 63 N-m (47 lbs.ft.).

9.Raise the tailgate and attach the cables to the striker bolts.

SERVICE PARTS INFORMATION

Part NumberDescriptionQty/Veh

15675385Latch Assembly (LH)1
15675386Latch Assembly (RH)1
15673252Striker Bolt2

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
It's wacky they decided the "fix" for rattling tailgate straps is to replace them with the cables. This is the same kind of bubble-wrapping that gave us BTSI's and EVO steering. :Big Laugh:

Richard

AuroraGirl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It's wacky they decided the "fix" for rattling tailgate straps is to replace them with the cables. This is the same kind of bubble-wrapping that gave us BTSI's and EVO steering. :Big Laugh:

Richard
in my opinion, cables arent all that bad, they tend to last a while, but they arent lifetime products either. my low mileage f150 is 1996, but the cable esp on the passenger side is definitely showing evidence of stretching (possibly overloaded, tailgate has a dip in the center, but ford used 2 different qualities of tailgates and mine is the cheaper one) and the driver side has some nicks and looks like its gonna start cracking esp where it bends. which is not bad for something like a cable, but then again my 1967 f100 wood trailer has been sitting exposed to the elements and stuff for years and it was used heavily for years when it had a tailgate and those straps(Same design as the gmt400 early) are still painted and not even rusty let alone worn visibly.