84 C4 vette 700r4 swap into a 91 C1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Joaquin P

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I was wondering if anyone has had any experience swapping out a 700r4 from an 84 corvette to a single cab 91 Scottsdale. I’m aware that both transmissions are 700r4s, my question is whether or not it would be a simple swap or if there’s anything else involved in putting the vette transmission into the truck.

TheAutumnWind

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
FYI

In 1990, the 700R4 was redesignated as the 4L60 (4-speeds, Longitudinally positioned, 6000 lbs. GVW). This was a change in name only with no significant mechanical changes associated.

By 1984, 700-R4s intended for use behind small-block Chevy V-8s began to receive beefy, 30-spline input shafts similar to those found on classic TH350 and TH400 transmissions. From 1984 to 1987, the most failure-prone internal parts, from the ring-gear to the oil-pump housing, were upgraded. An auxiliary valvebody was added in October 1986. Finally, on performance cars like the Corvette, additional internal lubrication improvements permitted the trans to survive in high-gear, full-throttle, top-end conditions. Many of the improvements can be retrofitted into the earlier, weak transmissions, but the 27-spline versions need so many new parts that it's more cost-effective to swap in a later core. However, it is worthwhile to upgrade the later 30-spline versions to Corvette/IROC-level internals, if they're not already so equipped.

Should not be any more work than swapping a 91 4l60 fromt another truck.

Joaquin P

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for the information! So in theory it would be a simple swap right? Just taking the truck transmission out and setting the vette one in?

arrg

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The Vette transmission has a different tailshaft housing on it. The tailshaft is also a little bit shorter (less than 1 inch difference)

Last edited:

Joaquin P

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
So after doing some more research yeah I’ve seen that the tail shaft housings are different. If I swap those out I should be in the clear right?
And would I have to get a longer driveshaft or would that 1 inch of difference be negligible?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk