8 lug Dodge hubs bolt up to 6 lug GM knuckle?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
So you can keep the 1500 UCA and run a 2500 knuckle? I wasn't sure if the dimensions would yield an acceptable alignment. That'd be the hands down easiest way to go.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Newp, that was 800 ****. Having said that, the path is well paved to 800 1500 swaps, so this one may be halfway feasible as well. I'm really only looking at this because of brakes. Ironically, the rears. I can't stand the way the rears need constant adjustment and the disc swap seems a bit tedious. My dually stays adjusted so I was thinking a FF would also maybe stay adjusted. Then on the pirate thread I see you can get 6 lug FF hubs. Hmm. . .

hatzie

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Newp, that was 800 ****. Having said that, the path is well paved to 800 1500 swaps, so this one may be halfway feasible as well. I'm really only looking at this because of brakes. Ironically, the rears. I can't stand the way the rears need constant adjustment and the disc swap seems a bit tedious. My dually stays adjusted so I was thinking a FF would also maybe stay adjusted. Then on the pirate thread I see you can get 6 lug FF hubs. Hmm. . .

I've never had problems with the 10.5" full floater brakes staying adjusted on my 2000 6.5L GMC C2500 or on the earlier 10.5" axles on my 84 & 76 K20 trucks.
Regularly exercise the E-brake and it shouldn't be a problem with the smaller axles either.

jdla140

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

Yeah swapping knuckles only applies to GMT800's. I did manage to find a video on instagram where a guy had 8 lug swapped his GMT400 by using a knuckle from an 01 2500HD. He had to weld a tie rod on (not ideal IMO) but otherwise it was bolt on, the GMT400 ball joints were correct to begin with. I'll try to find the video

I can't keep the brakes adjusted on my 93 to save my life. One of the wheel cylinders is starting to leak, but I plan on just disc swapping the SF. It looks easy, other than finding a spacer.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I've never had problems with the 10.5" full floater brakes staying adjusted on my 2000 6.5L GMC C2500 or on the earlier 10.5" axles on my 84 & 76 K20 trucks.
Regularly exercise the E-brake and it shouldn't be a problem with the smaller axles either.

My 10.5 FF works great, it's the 9.5 SF that won't hold. I use my e brake daily.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I've carefully avoided the Semi Floating 14bolts on the squares and the T400's... Yet another good reason to avoid them.

The 8.5" was no better. I really don't want/need a bigger pig for this truck than the 9.5", are the 8 lug 9.5" brakes any better? Obviously bigger, would probably get my brake bias closer to right.

GordonCustoms

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I installed an 02 SF 14 bolt that i swapped 6 lug axles out of a (heavy half) 90s SF 14 bolt into it. I retained the 3/4 rear brake calipers with 02 1500 rotors with a 1/4 wheel spacer between the hub and rotor to get it centered in the caliper. Been running it for couple years now without any issue. I also looked into the dodge hub for the 8 lug swap which bolt right up to the gmt800 knuckles but finding a rotor to work without having custom one made is where i stopped i even look at rotors for the heavy duty Cadillac limo cause some of those use 8 lugs as well.

You must be registered for see images attach

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Why'd you stick old style axles in there? Those came 6 lug too. I imagine you had to weld all the perches on though?

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
did anyone answer this, i didnt care to read. GM and dodge used the same calipers so thats a null point to think about, obviously upgrade to the 1 ton stuff if you care. Regarldess youll want a hub from a v10 2500 dodge. they come 8 lug pattern with 3 bolt flange. its phyically has same hub and all that problem is you need to either tap the knuckle or the hub, or, run a through bolt. I through bolted mine with adequate hardware. The OBS knuckle and dodge hub are not threaded so thats one issue. Next up is the rotor, for a half ton situation the rotor is now a larger diameter, it need to be machined down. If memory serves OBS and Dodge once again share the same rotor. Viola its done.

Your other option and i think id go this way if i were to do it again is to go with all GMT800 stuff and do the GMT900 caliper swaparoo.