700r4 trans trouble

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JTMiller13

Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I've got a 92 gmc truck with blown out 2 wheel 700r4, I've got two on the floor of my shop, one of which I can identify by serial but the other I cannot distinguish. One is built for a 4 wheel drive, the other is a 2 wheel, and I cannot distinguish which is which. No ideas to big or too small...

Thanks!

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I've got a 92 gmc truck with blown out 2 wheel 700r4, I've got two on the floor of my shop, one of which I can identify by serial but the other I cannot distinguish. One is built for a 4 wheel drive, the other is a 2 wheel, and I cannot distinguish which is which. No ideas to big or too small...

Thanks!
What are you really wanting to know? Are you literally asking how to tell the difference between the 2WD and 4WD unit?

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok, I was 50/50 on whether that was it or if you were actually asking a different question.

All 2WD units have a longer output shaft with a speedo gear and extension housing with a bushing and seal, designed to receive slip yoke. The 4x4 units have an exension housing that bolts to the t-case and looks nothing like the 2WD ext housing, which is what I figured you already looked at/compared to what you saw when you looked underneath your truck.

JTMiller13

Reaction score
Ok, I was 50/50 on whether that was it or if you were actually asking a different question.

All 2WD units have a longer output shaft with a speedo gear and extension housing with a bushing and seal, designed to receive slip yoke. The 4x4 units have an exension housing that bolts to the t-case and looks nothing like the 2WD ext housing, which is what I figured you already looked at/compared to what you saw when you looked underneath your truck.
Yes, you nailed it. Thank you! I appreciate your wisdom

mason916

Reaction score
isnt their supposed to be a big "K" on the side of the bellhousing of a 4wd also?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahuskwulf