700r4 torque converter lock up question.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JLG88

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have an 89 RCSB, I swapped in a vortec 350 converted to carb with a 700r4 trans. Since I converted to carb, and I don’t have the tps sensor anymore, what’s the best way to wire a lock up switch to it? I only want to use the lock up on the freeway.

RDF1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Id just put a toggle switch on the dash and roll with it.
Just be careful to unlock it before it downshifts from 4 to 3 or anything.

JLG88

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
That’s what I wanted to do, just don’t know what wires to connect to.

RDF1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ah!
Does it have a 20 pin connector like a 4L60E?
Ive never messed with a 700R4.

JLG88

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
No it’s a 4 pin connector. I know I could hook up the Holly tps, but I eliminated all the excess sensors the computer was using. (Second temp sensor, second oil pressure sensor, tps sensor)

mike8449

Reaction score
I've got a 700-R4 in my 68 C10. I use a toggle switch on the dash to control the ground for the TCC solenoid. Completing the ground will lock up the torque converter clutch. Breaking the ground will disengage the TCC.

To hook up, you only need two of the four pins on the trans connector. The pin locations in the connector are labeled, but they're hard to see.
Pin A. Feed +12V to this pin. This is the power for the TCC lockup solenoid. Can be picked up from any source that's hot with the ignition on. Stock wire color is purple.
Pin D. This is the ground for the TCC solenoid. Run this wire up to your toggle switch. Connect the other side of your toggle switch to ground. Stock wire color is Tan/Black.

Hope this helps.

Last edited: