700r4 torque converter and pump questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Keepinitoldskool

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So for the past month my trany has been acting up a little, sometimes slipping on downshifts and hard 1-2 shift. It was rebuilt about 10k ago and we replaced everything but the pump and converter. But friday i was headed back to my work when it really started acting up. I pulled over and checked my fluid again and it shows to be 2 qts over full but the fluid is still in great shape, nice and red with no signs of contamination. Then I noticed a rattleing noise coming from the bellhousing area. Now im almost certain that either the torque converter is going out or the pump has quit. My question to yall is if there is anyway to determine which one it is? Normally I would just replace both and get a performance torque converter, but due to the amount of money i have spent on the truck recently i cannot afford that option and only want to replace the broken part. Im leaning more towards it being the pump cause with my experience if a torque converter fails it usually just stops pulling all together. Anyone know of a good source for a pump? Ohh yeah and its for my '88 2wd 1500 with the 700r4.

chevyman98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
With out checking line pressure is hard to tell. My question is why not replace pump and converter. Imo anytime you rebuild a transmission a new or rebuilt converter. Like mentioned above check tv cable and fluid level again. May want to take it back to the shop that rebuilt it

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
if it was a tv cable problem and you installed the trans the shop that rebuilt it isnt gonna do a thing about it because you installed it improperly and burnt it up

Keepinitoldskool

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
tv cable is fine. It was adjusted by the guy who rebuilt my trany and for a year everything worked as it should. it does not seem to be pumping any fluid which is why its overfull now. I check my fluid levels on a regular and last week it was normal. I believe ill just go ahead and replace the pump and converter. ill probably get the converter from autozone but not sure where to get the pump without spending $150.

Keepinitoldskool

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah im a little skeptical about the autozone converter but it is a Dayco and ive been referred to them by 2 different trans builders. I really cant afford much more than their $90 price tag since all the pumps im seeing are $150. Im half tempted to pull the pump and disassemble it and replaced just the broken part(s) since im seeing all the parts to rebuild them are fairly cheap. And if i do find something in the pump to be bad then i wont need to shell out money for the converter.

Keepinitoldskool

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
According to their website they are dayco's.

Has anyone attempted to rebuild a pump? Any special tools required?