700R4 to 5-spd?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kamd90Chevy

Suthrn1
Reaction score
Hey guys my trans wen't out the other day and i have found another trans but i'm really debating on a 5-spd swap. i dont get along with auto's well due to lack of control and without sinking a couple grand in one you cant really beat on it. So what i'm trying to do is a stick swap from a junkyard. So who can give me a list of everything i'm going to need? Obviously

Trans
Shifter assem.
Pedal assem.
Slave Master Cylinder
Linkage from Pedal to Fork

and that's where i end...any and all help will be greatly appreciated. I'm having to borrow my sister's Honda and it's not comfortable. I'm 6' 4" 255.....not my idea of a daily

LoudnLifted88

Small Block Grim Reaper
Reaction score
you need the computer and wiring for tranny along with the clutch master cylinder and the steering column unless you want to deal with the column shifter

eg30.06

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you want to change to a standard mind as well get a parts truck with all the parts on it. like lowdnlifted88 was saying there's a lot of parts you have to change.

outalne94z71

Bouncing Truck Maker
Reaction score
you need the computer and wiring for tranny along with the clutch master cylinder and the steering column unless you want to deal with the column shifter

you only need the clutch petal and hydro master stuff and a column is optional , the shifter handle can be just removed, the computer does not need to be changed, the neutral safety switch wire gets moved to the clutch petal switch and your reverse wire on the neutral safety switch gets wired to the switch on the trans.

manual trans is 32 spline output so if you have 4wd then you need a new input gear for the t-case and if 2wd then you need a new slip yoke as the 700r4 is 27 spline output

Kadams87

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to dump the NV4500 and 241 that are in my truck for an LS swap and 4L80E. Having basically built the truck from the ground up here is what I would say. Tranny, 241 with 32 spline input shaft (Buy just the input shaft or an assembled tcase) Clutch pedal, bellhousing, master and slave cylinder and hydraulic line, flywheel for single piece rear main crank, and of course the shifter boot. If you care, a clutch safety switch for preventing starting in gear without the clutch in. If you have cruise, the cruise wiring harness that is setup for sticks is good, there is a 2nd switch at the top of the pedal so all you have to do is bump the clutch to cut the cruise, otherwise your cruise will stay on when you push in the clutch. As for the computer side take the easy route, just swap a computer in that is out of a standard truck, it'll plug right into your existing harness, if you don't swap the computer, you will throw a check engine light for the TCC.

On the wiring side honestly, unless you care about safety just grab the reverse light wiring from under the column and send it down the line to the tranny. Punch the pin out of the shifter and leave the column as it sits. If having the shift indicator on you instrument cluster bothers you, it's 2 screws on the back of the cluster to take it out.

You should be able to source everything from the yard for under 300-350 I would think. Word of caution, if you go with the NV4500 make sure you use the right kind of oil. DO USE GL-5 rated oil. Redline MTL is good stuff. Or you can buy GM Syncromesh. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/NAL-12345349/

Last edited: