700r4 Condition?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Knakai767

Reaction score
I've pulled the pan off my 700r4 to do some upgrades, currently its a rebuilt one with about 80-100k on it. I just got it home from a 700 mile road trip not too long ago and it did perfectly fine.

I have had an occasional issue, would happen about once or twice a month. Where the throttle valve would seem to get "stuck" and I would push the throttle pedal to the floor a few times and it would fix it and return to normal. Just last week it started having the issue continuously and then it seemed to be stuck for good. I parked it and ordered a shift kit that came with stuff to replace the throttle valve internals, as well as the other upgrades. I've been told that will likely solve the issue, and thats the main reason people purchase the kit. I also have a 3 quart increased capacity pan, in-line filter, replacement stock filter, and a temperature gauge for it as well.

However, in pulling the pan off, the fluid that drained was very clean and consistent. Inside the pan itself there was a lot of fine-sand sized metal bits in the corners, and maybe 2-3 small plastic chips that I assume are from the governor. I haven't taken the valve body or governor off yet to inspect until the parts show up.

I know some metal in the pan is normal wear, but I want to know for sure that this is a normal amount, or if it is starting to eat itself, have I saved it just in time? will it need to be rebuilt for sure? or will it be alright for a few thousand more miles?

I use the truck about once or twice a week, and usually don't haul too much. I have towed once or twice with it. But overall its pretty babied compared to my other cars, and I'm looking to continue to use it lightly as such for at least another 6 months to a year before upgrading the drivetrain entirely.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited: