700R4 Bad pump. Replace or?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ron B

Reaction score
I just picked up a 92 K2500 it was a farm truck and family owned since new. 98000 miles in it. Previous owners got stuck on the farm somewhere. The truck bottomed out in mud and broke a cooler line. They kept trying to get it out till it would spin the wheels anymore when they called me. I pulled it out and saw the trans fluid all over under it. Long story short I bought the truck I tried fixing the cooler line and when I went to fill the trans it would take more then a few qts before it filled the dipstick tube I fired it up in hope it would suck the fluid but it wouldn't. So I know the pump is shot. Being a low mileage trans I'm thinking about replacing the pump or rebuilding it. I don't want to tie up too much into the truck because it just going to be a seasonal truck for me. I'm looking at a junk yard trans or the pump. What do you guys think. I guess my only concern is that burning the pump up didn't affect anything else inside.

Jrgunn5150

Enjoying tomorrow's success today
Reaction score
I would just swap a Craigslist/junkyard trans into it. I'm sure the clutches and bands are smoked as well.

90halfton

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
No other opinions?
Ya, the same one jrgunn had. If they were mashing on a dry tranny for a while (most likely wide open) than it would probably be beneficial and time conserving to put one in it you know works.