700r Temps?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Old Goat Ninja

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Right behind you with Duct tape stretched out
I have an '89 with the 700r transmission that has 5 pinion planetaries.

Anyways, I've only had truck for a little over a month. It already had a temp gauge added. Normally I run 150-175 on temps. Yesterday I took it to the snow and did some snow wheelin'. Truck is fine on a snowy road, but off road in the deeper stuff, truck was working really hard. My set up bad for snow wheeling. It dug down and worked too hard while my Dads '52 Willys just stayed on top of the snow with it's light weight and All Terrains. Anyways, after a couple hours, my temps were getting into the 210 range. I wasn't real comfortable with that, but kept going. Snow got deeper, and my truck was working real hard, and temps climbed fast and was very near the 250, which is as high as my gauge goes. So I turned around, then stopped. After a break, we started heading back. Spent the 20 minute or so trip back through the snow at 210. We stopped again then drove down to nearest town to eat, still around 200. After eating it was back to normal and I drove home in the normal range (about an 1 and a half trip).

Anyways, think I did any real damage? Should I change the fluid? I just had the transmission rebuilt a month ago, so the tranny fluid is only a month old. But at those temps, did I burn up the fluid?

Thanks in advance, I'm just worried that I might of messed it up or at least ruined the fluids. Cost too much to have the rebuild, and at this time can't afford another rebuild lol.

JonZ71

Right Meow
Reaction score
It's just cause there is no air flow to cool it. You can add a new cooler with a fan if you'd like.

Old Goat Ninja

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Right behind you with Duct tape stretched out
It's just cause there is no air flow to cool it. You can add a new cooler with a fan if you'd like.

Yeah, I knew why it was hot, just wondering if at those temps I hurt anything. Thanks though. Looks like a new cooler has been added by previous owner, but maybe installed wrong.

If it hit 250, I would do a fluid change.

Yeah, I might go ahead and do that. It didn't actually hit 250, but it was dang close, which is when I stopped and let everything cool before heading out of the trail. Thanks. From what I can find, probably should play it safe and change it.

JonZ71

Right Meow
Reaction score
An y fluid at that temp will start to break down, it would be a good idea to do atleast a drain replace filter and refill.

silverado13

GEAR HEAD
Reaction score
you should be fine, i live in louisiana and during the summer when its over 100 degrees 24/7 and sitting in traffic, ive gotten up to 210+ before and although its not really healthy for the transmission its not gonna kill it, i installed a tranny cooler that i bought from ebay and never get over 175 now, you just have to install it right, which is after the radiator