7.4 Vortec k2500 Exhaust Manifold/ Header Install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Aparke4

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
New motor mounts at the time of header install. Tranny mount from energy was easy, motor mounts not so much. I had exhaust shop install and we ended up pressing the mount in the clam shell and then tack welding together. Also, bolts had lock tite and torch was needed.

You must be registered for see images attach

Aparke4

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Two plugs wire ceramic straight ends from accel barely touch tubes on driver side: might switch these to 45*. Pass side none needed.

Last edited:

Aparke4

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Down pipes: driver side snaked over shaft! Lift kit, 6 inch k2500 kit + 3 inch BL has tons of room- in RC pics /installation instructions pipe goes around and down below driveshaft. My local shop wanted to keep out of rocks, etc. They used 2.5 I believe. Pass side used mandrel bent piece from JBA, driver side used mandrel bent to o2 sensor then bent pipe. new u joints on front driveshaft too:

Last edited:

Christian Steffen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Down pipes: driver side snaked over shaft! Lift kit, 6 inch k2500 kit + 3 inch BL has tons of room- in RC pics /installation instructions pipe goes around and down below driveshaft. My local shop wanted to keep out of rocks, etc. They used 2.5 I believe. Pass side used mandrel bent piece from JBA, driver side used mandrel bent to o2 sensor then bent pipe. new u joints on front driveshaft too:

Looking good!

andy396

GMT400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Small update: plug wires back on. Motor running! No major issues with studs or EGR parts! Pics to come soon as weather has been wet and cold.

What’s the butt dyno tell you? Any noticeable improvement?

Aparke4

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What’s the butt dyno tell you? Any noticeable improvement?

Definitely an improvement in sound. Couple more DB's in cab but healthier tone thru magnaflow dual in dual out muffler. No drone, can hear exhaust tone with windows up but pleasant, barely audible with music at 3500 rpm. It sounds more like a big block now but not obnoxious if that makes sense. My muffler guy said drive it for a month and see how you like it afterwards. Listening at shop vs. after with about 30 minutes around town/ engine load I kinda got a big dumb grin on my face. I will see if I can get a sound clip today.

Butt dyno: TBD. I only drove it yesterday for about half hour. I do have a black bear tune, 91 Octane I think and in the notes about 2 years ago I said I would be installing headers and well, that just happened haha. Noticeable pickup from a dead stop but I will report back and see if I can find the notes on the tune I got. There are a few tuners in the area I live so might even spring for a dyno run! I think, looking at the motor and accessories that this is the original block and I assume with 269k, it was rebuilt at some point in time. Great oil pressure still, not much to no loss between oil changes besides leaks, mostly stock parts besides the ones I have replaced over time so the age and wear on parts might mean original block. I have no past motor history so a top end tear down to start is a spring/ summer project... going to add UV dye to oil today as I had it steam cleaned before header install and its too dang clean haha! I have replaced oil pressure sending unit and valve cover gaskets but there is still a good leak... muffler mechanic thinks rear main seal but I do know the oil pan gasket is weeping as well as oil cooler lines so that is next on the list before separating tranny and motor. Going to do oil filter housing seal this weekend as that s pretty easy. I have tried Lucas Oil leak and the expensive bars oil seal with limited lifetime warranty/ rebate and I do not think they even slowed the leak. Time to go AN fittings on oil cooler lines and get oil pan done then pray rear main seal is OK.

More to come!

Aparke4

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Black Bear Tune Notes:

Gear Ratio: 4.10

Tire Size: 35 (going 37's soon, need to update tune when I regear)

Performance Mod's: Accel Coil, 8.5 mm wires, billet distributor, JBA headers short, magnaflow muffler with dual 2.5 cat back, low temp stat, iridium plugs, volant cold air intake.

Preferred Octane Level: 91 (Highest I can get in CA pump)

Desired Speed Limiter: stock

Shift Firmness: Standard (Slightly firmer at light to mid-throttle, moderately firmer at heavy throttle)

Replace Tow/ Haul Mode with Sport Settings: 1999 - 2010 4 speed trucks only: N/A

Transmission Torque Management Reduction: Engine power reduction during an upshift. Option specifies the reduction of this feature relative to the factory setting. This impacts upshift quality only and can be left blank if unsure: Checked Unsure / BB Recommendation.

Thermostat Temp rating: Jet 180

Special Requests: N/A

Mangonesailor

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Looks like a nice clean install! Glad it went well!

What lift is that? RC? Did you do blocks/springs/shackle flip in the back?

Aparke4

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Looks like a nice clean install! Glad it went well!

What lift is that? RC? Did you do blocks/springs/shackle flip in the back?

Yes- RC 6 inch but torsion bars in lowest setting so it’s more like 4 inches. Kit fit perfect and was actually kinda fun to install.
Shackle flip is next! I have 1.5 blocks now and Firestone air bags which take some sag out and it’s just a little lower in rear. Shackle flip should level it perfect and 37’s will fill gaps nicely with no rubbing.