7.4 Vortec k2500 Exhaust Manifold/ Header Install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Aparke4

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hi all-

I am about to attempt installing my JBA ceramic shorty headers, CA legal, on my 96 k2500 with the 7.4 big block. Luckily, I have a body lift and missing gap guards so accessing stock manifolds is pretty dang easy... couple Q's:

1. Replace manifold studs/ bolts/ nuts: lots of mixed answers on RV sites and the JBA's came with a gasket but no new hardware. Are there bolts or studs on the 7.4 vortec?

2. Exhaust manifolds are not leaking and thankfully its a CA truck so very minimal rust. BUT, its got 269k and the stock manifolds have appear factory/ have been on there for quite some time at least. Tips on not breaking any bolts/ studs?

3. Anti-seize: where should I apply? To new studs/ bolts?

4. EGR/ CA Smog stuff: advice on prep before removal? I do have a MAP gas torch if heat is needed but I know these parts cant be brittle and stubborn.

Pics to come!

81nascar

Reaction score
They should be studs and like one bolt on each manifold.. At least my 98 is.. Anti-seize everything dealing with exhaust. You will thank your self later.. Don't know when you plan to do the swap, so penetrating oil on the fasteners for a few days if you can... More than likely with that many miles you will need some heat for sure. On mine some of the studs came out with the nuts rusted on .. When in doubt just heat it and go. I like to get it super hot then let it cool for a while then heat it again before unbolting. works pretty good.. That egr stuff is tricky. The tube is for sure. Make sure to anti-seize that as well.. It will take some heat. Being Cali. I'm not sure if you have a smog pump with the tubes in the manifolds. Mine doesn't have that. Just an egr.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Invest in a couple cans of Kroil, that stuff is the ****; you can use a wax trick by heating up the stud with a torch and touching a stick of wax to the threads and it should draw down into the threaded part of the block and make the stud easier to work out.
I've got part numbers for ARP locking hardware saved somewhere specifically for headers, maybe someone can chime in if they know or I can dig it up,

They should be studs and like one bolt on each manifold.. At least my 98 is.. Anti-seize everything dealing with exhaust. You will thank your self later.. Don't know when you plan to do the swap, so penetrating oil on the fasteners for a few days if you can... More than likely with that many miles you will need some heat for sure. On mine some of the studs came out with the nuts rusted on .. When in doubt just heat it and go. I like to get it super hot then let it cool for a while then heat it again before unbolting. works pretty good.. That egr stuff is tricky. The tube is for sure. Make sure to anti-seize that as well.. It will take some heat. Being Cali. I'm not sure if you have a smog pump with the tubes in the manifolds. Mine doesn't have that. Just an egr.

Where did you get those valve covers???

Aparke4

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Nice motor! One day I want to pull mine and clean, freshen up and put in a mild cam and heads. Love those valve covers too!

I plan on sometime this month. Just got done with lift so I need to modify the y pipe anyways and I purchased the JBA specific Y pipe that fits their specific flanges. Once all installed then off to exhaust shop for a clearance job for drive shaft. The RC lift drops the diff perfectly in line so I want to see where the Y pipe for JBA ends up before too much cutting.

I’ll start the soaking process this week and snap some pics for reference for my ca smog set up. Thanks for the tips/ keep y’all posted!

Any part numbers for studs and bolts would be awesome. Should I invest in a special tool/ stud puller?

81nascar

Reaction score
Valve covers are the stock valve covers. I just powder coated them black then put the top part on a belt sander for the machine look, then powder coat clear the whole thing. Got the 454 stickers from Summit. They are great and easy to clean. I did the same to the intake as well..Just a squirt of Simple Green on spray them off.

Godholio

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
What headers are you using? JBA's website doesn't show an application for the 7.4.

Edit: Summit's part finder gives all kinds of results. Weird.

Last edited:

Aparke4

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Here is the part and downpipe I intend to install:

Aparke4

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Instructions: looks like it comes with new bolts for all studs?

should I invest in a stud removal tool? Removing studs makes me nervous!

Aparke4

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Got 4 of these to match my accel wires: looks like you have to swap 4 wires to 45* boots:

Aparke4

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Here is the truck/ manifolds: