7.4 vortec fuel issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RawbDidIt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Regulator was PR217 Standard motors. Everything checked out during installation.
Did you check the old fuel pressure regulator for a bad diaphragm or the fuel pressure before and after?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

RawbDidIt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Mine weren't rusted bad, an impact gun helped too.
Impact gun destroyed the nuts holding on the tank mount to the frame. The first one I had to cut off, the other ones I used electrical tape to snug up the fit and it worked pretty well, but I replaced the nuts anyway. It was a Montana truck, but I bought it in Utah, so who knows where it had been, but no deep rust, just seized bolts. And yes, I used PB blaster, still seized like a MF

Travon

Reaction score
Well gents, got tired off chasing my tail and took it to the dealer. Just got a call saying it's
the regulator.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The dealer probably uses some Kent Moore $$ valve kit to isolate the supply and return lines. A valve is installed on the supply line at the filter. The line is pressurized and the valve closed. If the pressure drops, then it’s the regulator, injectors or line leak. If it holds, it’s the pump.

The return line can then be valved off (I think there’s a union near the fuel filter?) and the pump energized. If the pressure holds, then the regulator is leaking back to the closed valve. If the pressure drops, then an injector is leaking.

Hardware store tubing, fittings and a couple ball valves would accomplish the same thing. I’ve been tempted to look into rigging one up, just haven’t had the need to (knock on wood).

Travon

Reaction score
Do they know, or are they just guessing like we are?

Well when I explained everything I have already checked the mechanic laughed and said you've already checked everything we would do. Lol! After talking for awhile he then offered to double check the fuel system with their Super Dooper tools and let me know..

Travon

Reaction score
The dealer probably uses some Kent Moore $$ valve kit to isolate the supply and return lines. A valve is installed on the supply line at the filter. The line is pressurized and the valve closed. If the pressure drops, then it’s the regulator, injectors or line leak. If it holds, it’s the pump.

The return line can then be valved off (I think there’s a union near the fuel filter?) and the pump energized. If the pressure holds, then the regulator is leaking back to the closed valve. If the pressure drops, then an injector is leaking.

Hardware store tubing, fittings and a couple ball valves would accomplish the same thing. I’ve been tempted to look into rigging one up, just haven’t had the need to (knock on wood).
That's exactly what they did..

Travon

Reaction score
Apparently they came to the conclusion that the New regulator was defective. I explained that if that doesn't work I will not be paying a single dime. Oh! Yes! I decided to just let them do it.

RawbDidIt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
How much did they charge for the diagnostic? And hey, I'm glad we didn't steer you wrong, though I don't envy you having to test into the intake again.