60/40 Seat issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rtaylor93

Reaction score
I have a 97 extended cab with the 60/40 bench. I used the lever on the side of the driver's seat to slide the seat forward to access the back seat and now it will no longer go back into it's position. It just keeps sliding and folding forward. I see no moving parts when I pull on the lever.

Is this likely a broken cable? To diagnose do I need to remove the upholstery? This is my preferred daily driver so I'd like to have a good idea of what parts I may need before I start pulling it apart

Bodageta1995

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Reach up under the seat and pull on the wire/unsheathed cable. See if it will unlock. Sometimes the cable stretches. If you remove your seat and turn it upside down it’s a pretty easy fix to reattach the cable in a way that shortens it. I did that and it’s been good ever since (now 3 years). Much easier to do the final adjustments in the cable with the seat off and flipped.