6 speed swap help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

454SSguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
good 2 know. Really preciate all the good info. I'm peicing all my stuff together for my spring build. Have any leads on where to get all the little pieces for my trans swap.

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yeah the LSx slave is internal on the input shaft, the ltx is external on the bellhousing, LTx has a shift fork, LSx does not, LTx is a pull release pressure plate, LSX is a push release....they're quite a bit different when it comes to the slave/clutch/PP setup, among a few other things.

what pieces are you looking for? is this for the '90 454ss?

454SSguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yup and as far as parts go, everything, lol. So far I have my heads (hopefully tomorrow), and whipple (next week). The rest is HR cam, single plane intake, and KP 4 link and mini tub.

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yeah you do need alot, heh kinda hard to recommend any one specific place, I've got stuff for the T56 from these places with good success:
http://www.thegearbox.org/T56.html

http://ddperformance.com/
http://autogear.net/ag_archive/warnergearT56.htm

that last one autogear.net was the best place to find stock hard-to-find pieces. although even they can't get SOME things because GM has either discontinued them or something else. but they were very helpful for me when I was doing the T56 rebuild and install.

454SSguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I can't remember where I found a parts kit for the syncros and keys, forks, ect. They sell an entire "upgrade" kit for like $600.And btw do you ever sleep?

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
that gearbox link has rebuild kits and synchros and such, as well as some upgrade parts...my writeup goes over alot of upgrades, like main shaft upgrades, steel fork, brass pads, carbon fiber blockers, shifter relocation, etc....I've done most of them to my trans, there's also other things I don't go over if you're building the trans for race type applications like liberty faceplating, cryo treatments, Mikronite finishing, etc...

I work graveyards so I'm up at night alot heh

454SSguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That gearbox site is exactly the one i was thinkin of, just didn't know the name. I bookmarked it, lol. Yea I'm just gonna get a core LT1 T56 and do that stage 2 kit and call it good.

hotrod22

Reaction score
ok thanks i got em workin. ur right abt the speedo being direct also. im just gona get an aftermarket speedo to use for now. still like mt moon gages tho. dont kno y just think there cool. and also just fyi i got my slave/master set up from an 88 5spd v6 and the slave is alum with a bleeder. dont kno if they all where bt just sum info. these trucks with autos have 373s correct?

hotrod22

Reaction score
ok idk y bt this thing keeps screwin up so ima try this again. got em workin thanks for the help lol. il work on spedo crap at a later time. btw just fyi i got my slave/master set up from an 88 v6 5 speed and its an alum slave with a bleeder:rocking: dont kno if there all that way bt its nice anyway. the trucks with autos are factory 373s correct?

hotrod22

Reaction score
thanks for the info and would u mind describing how to mod it? im not super great with anything newer than an 86 bt if u can tell me what to do i can do it. (most of the time lol)