6 speed swap help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hotrod22

Reaction score
ok im considering doin a t56 swap in my 89. iv got a complete 96 lt1 6speed bird with a blown headgasket. i was wondering uf the clutch petal assembly out of the car will work. its an 89 short wide with a 350 tbi? im sorry if this is a frequently asked question bt if somebody will point me to a thread where THIS question was asked id appreciate cuz i cant find one.

Last edited:

hotrod22

Reaction score
never mind. after looking closer at my T/A i can see its not possible to use the bird petal assembly or clutch master cylinder. thanks anyway

MIHELA

1-5-6-3-4-2-7-8
Reaction score
The trans can be swapped, but you'll have to use clutch pedal and master from a manual truck.

hotrod22

Reaction score
thanks alot. that write up is a beaut btw lol. iv got the trans in and everythings hooked up and ready to go except the petal assy and master:rocking:. once i get that how do i go about bleading the slave? i hope to have all needed parts to day and finish up but...wel c. thanks for all help and info received

hotrod22

Reaction score
btw im using the slave from my bird. it worked great and i didnt see a need to get a new one. wish the 383 was going in to buut...mabe a l8r project:hmm:

hotrod22

Reaction score
this sucks

ok got it in and love it so far. i have a few issues i need some advice on tho. my swap was from r4 not 60e and the wiring seems diffrent then what iv read discribed. i cant get my reverse lights working and my spedo doesnt go higher than 40:bs:. iv seen the write up on the swap and the speedo problem. was hoping sombody could tell me what all tune can be done on my 89 pcm and what i can do abt reverse lights? any help is appreciated greatly

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yeah with an 700r4 your wiring will be a bit different. the speedo miscal is because the VSS reluctor ring in the T56 is ALOT different than the automatics, for mine I had to recalibrate the PCM for the correct output. I'm not overly familiar with the TBI controls, but you might need to get a conversion box of some sort (like a dakota digital or something.) I'll try to look around and see what I can find out about them but I'm not too well versed on the OBDI signal processes...I THINK the VSS on an 89 just runs directly up to the gauge?

the reverse lights should be pretty simple to fix, the reverse light connector on the T56 is just a simple open/closed switch, so you can find the reverse lights wire on your truck, then splice into that line so that the switch on the T56 is providing power when reverse is activated....I hope that makes sense, I'm just headed out right now, and I'll try to clarify when I get home if needed