6.5 swap questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The factory computer wouldn't work without tps, cts, and rpm. it doesn't use the alternator for rpm like the tach does, it uses a crank position sensor. Even at that without having the feedback from everything else it may force the tranny into limp in mode and be stuck in 2nd gear.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
well damn, im really not hunting for big diesel power or id swap in a duramax, I just want the mileage, I go to gallons per mile with a load on the ol 350. are the 6.5's really that big of a joke? for the price of it, it couldnt hurt to get it and have it on the backburner. are there any straightforward diesel swaps I can do? I can live with a gutless turd to be honest, I just want a fairly efficient workhorse, really the only time I drive the truck is when im hauling something
The much bigger issue than lack of power is utter lack of reliability. I wouldn't trust one to be a boat anchor.

Richard

tanman_2006

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'd swap a 6.5 in every truck I own if I had the money.

Trying to talk a guy down on a 99 ccsb 4x4 350 so I can swap a 6.5 in it for my wife to haul horses with.

Until then she will borrow the 93 6.5 single cab.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
There's always that one guy!

The last one told us for years how great they were until his grenaded, after he'd spent a fortune on it. Hope you have better luck.

Richard

deejaaa

Became Less Of A Human 5-13-18
Reaction score
i have a 6.5 and hate every minute i work on it. you will not get to work with anything from the factory. cruise wont work, or AC.
i want to swap in a cummins but can't afford it.

tanman_2006

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Mine all run great for 300K miles so far. I've done one head gasket.

My 350 is a heaping pile of junk and 6.0's are reliable but blah. Big blocks aren't bad but my wallet can complain at times. Duramax costs more to fix than a whole P400 long block with total seal rings and head studs with an upgraded turbo to boot.