5.7L Vortec Catalytic Converter Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
The exhaust system is stock. The cats are bosal. I want an exhaust system though that's down my wish list
Which one did you order?

You must be registered for see images attach

Hmmm.. Would the federal fit the TBI manifolds? Looks like a nice start to true duals. Didn't see if it was stainless or aluminized. The latter rots right off in three to five years, so that's why I'm on the fence.. I'm a big fan of "one and done" type of expenses.

The converters are the big deal, I thought I'd have to get some special II pipe, have Walker converters installed and then custom exhaust w/ muffler installed. If this will work, it knocks the unknown bits down to just the exhaust and muffler choices, along with "Do I retain the factory tail pipe location or not?" question..

jaywestfall

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hmmm.. Would the federal fit the TBI manifolds? Looks like a nice start to true duals. Didn't see if it was stainless or aluminized. The latter rots right off in three to five years, so that's why I'm on the fence.. I'm a big fan of "one and done" type of expenses.

The converters are the big deal, I thought I'd have to get some special II pipe, have Walker converters installed and then custom exhaust w/ muffler installed. If this will work, it knocks the unknown bits down to just the exhaust and muffler choices, along with "Do I retain the factory tail pipe location or not?" question..

I couldn't ever get an answer on the stainless or aluminized either, so I went with what I already had installed: Magnaflow.

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

Never had a tbi 5.7. Only vortec. That said I dont see why the bosal couldn't fit tbi. However I know back then the factory came with 1 cat. Then in obd2 or vortec they came with 2 cats. Not sure why. This set up is factory though and i love it. My thought is this cats will fail so want to be able to change that. Muffler will get replaced eventually so same story. My plan is this. Have factory set up cats. Then i want a new aftermarket exhaust system that still bolts to the cats. Might be custom but dont care. Then i want the 2 pipes to flow to the rear over the axle under the rear panel. But instead of going out the side I want them straight back and angle down. That's my ideal exhaust system. As far as quality aluminum or stainles . But really want stainless.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks for updating. In the second picture, did the oxygen sensor not fit in the bung? Or hit the frame?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks for updating. In the second picture, did the oxygen sensor not fit in the bung? Or hit the frame?

Looks like an 02 sensor extension to me. Used to trick the PCM.

Built them into the high flow cats on my Express van.

Last edited:

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
New installed. Sounds great. No fitment issues whatsoever

What is the OD of the pipe on those? When my Tahoe had the 305 in it, it had BBK shorties and Magnaflow (Bosal are the same) cats for a 5.7 2500 Suburban with the 2.75" pipes. Dual 3" in, single 4" out muffler. Re-used the same cats and rear pipes with Edelbrock headers and upper headpipes that welded to the front of the cats for an 8.1 Avalanche or Suburban when I 8.1 swapped it.

Ben Burrage

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score

They're O2 spacers. I had O2 issues for years. Replaced everything with ignition and fuel system, and exhaust is all new. Probably do not need them anymore, but left them anyway.