5.7L Vortec ->6.5L Turbo Diesel swap?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

94_C/1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I like gas engines a lot, diesels are garbage to me. I'm not a fan of any of the diesel engines offered in pickup trucks. Maybe the mechanical 6bt was worth a crap, but I know for a fact that the electronic ones can be garbage. They have horible fuel problems and ours blew a head gasket. We have a 5.3L truck that has more miles and far less problems. And I can't think of a diesel truck we've ever had that didn't have many problems. And after all of this, I for some reason think a 4bt swap would be pretty neat. I bet with enough of weight removal and the right gearing and a 5 speed, 30 mpg is probably possible and it could have enough torque to move a 1500 around fine. I'll never do the swap to my truck, but I'd like to see one.

ndians68

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I like gas engines a lot, diesels are garbage to me. I'm not a fan of any of the diesel engines offered in pickup trucks. Maybe the mechanical 6bt was worth a crap, but I know for a fact that the electronic ones can be garbage. They have horible fuel problems and ours blew a head gasket. We have a 5.3L truck that has more miles and far less problems. And I can't think of a diesel truck we've ever had that didn't have many problems. And after all of this, I for some reason think a 4bt swap would be pretty neat. I bet with enough of weight removal and the right gearing and a 5 speed, 30 mpg is probably possible and it could have enough torque to move a 1500 around fine. I'll never do the swap to my truck, but I'd like to see one.

most of the newer diesel breaks i have seen, have been self enflicted. or they have been things known to go bad.

30mpg is very for seeable with a 4bt, i have seen where people do these swaps and are seeing 30mpg, which is one reason i would like to try one, yet one of my dads old students had his truck pulling 30 in a cclb dodge, manual and stacked chips and some other things. And i know that kids running around here is diesels are pulling 20-25 regular, the only down side with a 4bt swap would be that it would be low on power, unlike the 12valve cummins, or anyother diesel swap.

Fobroader

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Id say 90% of the diesels Ive heard that had problems were caused by numpty owners putting cheap programmers into them without getting the proper fueling into them.

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
If you're really gonna swap a dirty into a half ton GMT400 than I would venture to say the front end suspension would almost be an after thought when it comes to the complexity of it.

I can speak honestly here because I've done it before, a Cummins swap would be a far easier swap than a Duramax. For a half ton, the most cool and easiest Cummins to swap would be a 4BT. They weigh about as much as a big block (which were offered in half tons) but can really perform for a 3.9L. The downside, is they're hard to find, and more expensive than a 6BT. 6BT's are just as easy of a swap but they have a lot more power for a half ton to handle and weigh a lot more. Even then there a few half ton 6BT swaps running around. You just can't really lay into them if you want your truck to survive.

On a side note. Since were talking about diesel trucks. My 98 has a 89 Isuzu 4BD1T swapped into it. It's a 3.9L (same displacement as a 4BT) Right now all I have is the pump turned a little and an HX35 turbo on her and she puts out 248HP and 450TQ. Plenty of enough torque to throw the half ton around any which way. I also get an average of 28MPG on the highway. And that's with 37's and a lot of weight.

taco ed

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Man Im new here and currently have a 7.4 L gas engine in my truck (3/4 ton GMC crewcab) I had a 88 sub w/ a 6.2 and it was a good sub ran fine and never had any issues for the 4 years I had it. I rolled in 2 wars Desert Storm and OIF-1) and a tour in Panama in AM gen Hummers w/ 6.2s and 6.5.s and never had any issues with them and it was the worst conditions you can put a truck and an engine in.. I am looking at replacing my 7.4 w/ a Diesel and got some good advice so far on my question on another page of this forum and I am open to even more suggestions BUT man I don't see much love and a lot of hate for the 6.5 TD/6.2 blood line.. For me I was thinking of using the 6.5TD for several reasons 1) pretty straight forward swap in to my truck 2) I have used the engine in several key points in my life and it never failed me or my Plt 3) I don't tow anything and don't off road much - however I do hunt and go on dirt roads and some Texas mud roads trails while hunting. 4) a lot has been done over the last few years w/ the current wars to improve the 6.5 its still used in combat today in Afg from regular line units to SF units and its doing pretty darn good. 5) I am not a great mech and will be outsourcing the install and would want to keep it simple SO.. IF you could what would 1) you do to a 6.5 TD before you put it in a 3/4 ton GMC yr 2000 but 98 body style what would be an uber 6.5TD?? 2) if not the 6.5 what would be the other option ? two guys have already told me on the other page and I thank them for the input! -- Like I say Im not a diesel guy now but man stop hating so hard on the 6.2/5TD they did help pave the way for where we -- you are now.. Semper Fi -- Taco Ed-- 2000 GMC 3/4 ton crew cab 4x4 old body style running 33's and getting 9 MPG...

taco ed

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey bro thanks for the advice on my question the link was a big help and I will look hard at that swap

Wagonbacker9

One string banjo. Maybe 2
Reaction score
Suspension really shouldn't be an issue. My 1994 Blazer had a 6.5l in it with all 1500 running gear aside from the 4l80e.

Now.. that said, I blew the 10 bolt out of it at 203K miles, and I have no idea if it was the first. The 6.5 also put a sour taste in my mouth because I blew a head gasket. But assuming it was a stock motor at 203K, thats not terrible life for an engine. I won't say they're a bad engine, but if I was going to put the effort into a swap, I'd want better.