5.7L Towing Upgrades (yes, another thread)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I wish I had the money for that. I was looking into a Wynjammer Centrifugal supercharger setup, but even then, I didn't have that kind of money to spend. A Whipple costs much more.

About the same. The kits are all long discontinued so can be found in the $1,000-3,000 range. It is a little bit of a commitment no matter how you boost if you boost.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have you done a THOROUGH check of the engine?

Mountains and altitude make a big difference--but--I wonder if the engine is running well enough to develop proper power.

Before I re-geared and hot-rodded, I'd be looking at exhaust back-pressure, fuel pressure under load, O2 sensor age, throttle opening when the pedal is on the carpet, and I'd verify the data stream for fuel trim, MAP and Knock sensor operation, misfire history, etc.

94K3500PROJECT

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Agreed with above.
Verify condition before soaking money into it.

With that said, I’d consider a TPI intake system even if I was starting with a Vortec engine.
The long runners will boost low rpm power but than anything besides displacement

badco

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The tip is a small percentage of the friction. The fulcrum is most of the friction on a rocker arm. As such GM engineers equipped the LS and later 4.3s with roller fulcrums and fixed tips. I have personally run roller tips and they are a waste of time and money compared to full roller. Had experience with a set of Comp 1.52 roller tips on an engine I messed with that was built by someone else. The LT4 Hotcam chewed up the rocker balls and pivot points in short order. Swapped to a set of full roller 1.6s and it has been problem free for my friend that owns it.

I run 7/16" stud wide body aluminum Scropion 1.7s on my 383 with hardened pushrods and guideplates.
I can dig up the dyno sheets and prove where the power is made. Scorpion rockers arnt bad for low spring pressure mild engines but they dont live long on higher hp stuff. I was running 3/8 stud comps with stud girdles cause i already had them. This time im running the t&d made comp shaft rockers. Dont need guide plates that way and will live at the 8500 it crosses at in qtr.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Agreed with above.
Verify condition before soaking money into it.

With that said, I’d consider a TPI intake system even if I was starting with a Vortec engine.
The long runners will boost low rpm power but than anything besides displacement

TPI boosts mid range, not low end.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
TPI boosts mid range, not low end.
Absolutely! Substantial loses on the very low-end of the powerband compared to a dual plane intake. MPI dual plane is the best manifold I have run for low-speed torque and doesn't choke off high rpm power either.

Trenton

Just a Texan transplanted in the Rockies
Reaction score
Have you done a THOROUGH check of the engine?

Mountains and altitude make a big difference--but--I wonder if the engine is running well enough to develop proper power.

Before I re-geared and hot-rodded, I'd be looking at exhaust back-pressure, fuel pressure under load, O2 sensor age, throttle opening when the pedal is on the carpet, and I'd verify the data stream for fuel trim, MAP and Knock sensor operation, misfire history, etc.

The engine is pretty well kept up. It had damn good compression, pretty consistent through all 8 cylindera. No misfire codes, and the ignition system was all recently replaced from coil through the new distributor (with a metal timing gear) to the spark plugs. Plus, I upgraded to the MPFI, so there shouldn't be a fuel injector issue there.

Fuel pump went out a year ago as well, so I bought a new Delphi fuel pump.

Since my cats had fallen off before I bought the truck, I had the rear O2 sensors deleted from BlackBear. I don't know the age of the upstream ones, so Ill definitely replace them now that you bring it up.

The biggest issue it had was a bad long term fuel trim on the passenger side, but there was a bad exhaust leak because of broken manifold bolt that caused a cracked manifold. I fixed that, so the LTFT is starting to fix itself.

The knock sensors were replaced a year ago. When I bought the truck, I found one sensor halfway broken so I just replaced them both.

I honestly haven't checked MAP and MAF sensor operation, but the truck currently doesn't throw any codes for anything related, so I never thought about it.

Good tips, though, thanks! Ill look into it more. I just kind of assumed it's in good condition. It idles really smooth, never hesitates, and adjusts to higher elevation really well. Hell, I think it handles long highway drives better than the '02 Impala I had did.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No misfire codes... ...
I honestly haven't checked MAP and MAF sensor operation, but the truck currently doesn't throw any codes
"Codes" are towards the BEGINNING of proper diagnosis, not the "end".

I'd be much more interested in the data stream than the "codes". Especially when there aren't any codes.

Look at the misfire history, not misfire codes.

Look at O2 sensor voltage and cross-counts, not O2 sensor codes.

Look at MAP and MAF voltage/frequency/response times; not "codes".

Discover the actual fuel pressure under load, rather than going by the age and pedigree of the pump.

And especially, verify the back-pressure when the throttle is on the carpet. Clogged cat(s) will KILL performance; and it doesn't take much at heavy-throttle.

For the record...I have a friend with a '97 K2500 7.4L he bought nearly-new that he'd double-tow--the pickup pulled the trailer home for camping, the tri-hull boat got hitched to the back of the bigass camper trailer. He's told me (many times...) that scrapping the OEM muffler (dual 2.75 inlet, dual outlet,, but choked-down inside to 2" or less) in favor of a pair of aftermarket, high-flow, separate mufflers made MORE difference than installing very expensive Gale Banks headers in terms of power output.

I also have a '97 K2500, but I don't tow with it--it pushes a snow plow at five or ten miles an hour. Not a real challenge.

Wheeler

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry for the late reply.. as I see it’s been a few months...

I have built my 98 Sierra for towing... I pull over 7k plus.. trailer weighs 5k, 600lbs water, quad over 500lbs, extra 25gallins gas, 2 Rottweilers, wife, gear ect...

383 Stroker, 750cfm Carb (tried efi.. left me stranded & towed home too many times) 1 5/8” long tubes, 4.56gears, 295/75/17s.. 2200rpm stall.

70mph @ 3k rpm in 3rd locked up.. I have to unlock on some grades.. (I have a switch to lock up when ever I want)

did the 4.56 gears impress me? Ya they r ok, but expected more to be honest..
You must be registered for see images attach