5.7l TBI valve seal replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Keepinitoldskool

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Im thinking about doing my valve seals this weekend and was wondering what valve spring compressor tool you TBI guys are using. My compressor only works on LS motors. I would prefer to do 2 at a time.

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
heads on dso you need to plug your compressor into the head via spark plug hole and pressurize it, then go to oriellys get a basic 7 buck compressor(i had to beat mine with a hammer to make it a smaller gap for the spring to sit in) pull the keepers out, pull off the retainer and spring then viola you have access to both your upper and lower seals, pull em off with a pick and put the new ones in, the exhaust are different than the intake. i dont run the standard exhaust ones they give you as all the tbi heads ive pulled apart the exhaust seals are entirely melted usually so i use the higher temp replacement ones for every semi stock application.

shortchevy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/otc-4573/overview/
I prefer this style, It does only one at a time but its affordable and its compact. There is one style that is available that is a big lever and I find that one a pain since it takes up so much room. In your truck its prolly fine but if you every plan on doing valve seal on anything else ever I recommend investing in one like in the link. Just my $.02

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
i kinda like that one, i use the lever or have one you hit with a hammer and it sucks the keepers up. the lever one gets the job done mines actually about the same size if not smaller but it can be a pain.

Keepinitoldskool

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah ive done lots of valve seals before just not on this tbi motor. Im used to my crane cams one for LS motors. It screws into the rocker arm studs and allows you to do both intake and exhaust at the same time.

Keepinitoldskool

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Noone near me has a set of seals in stock so I guess ill have to order some. Any recommendations? Would the felpro ones last?

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
i usually go with the standard stock replacement intake ones and for the exhaust i do the high temp ones, every set of tbi heads ive pulled apart regardless of stock or rebuilt the stock or stock replacement valve seasl are either throtoughly melted, completely destroed or just plain out not there anymore