5.7 tbi stalling at idle and running out of options

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ShadowRejects

I drank the Kingpin koolaid
Reaction score
My parent's ford expedition did the same thing while idleing in traffic, it never died but sounded like it would. it ended up being a vacuum hose.

Mitch1965

Reaction score
When I replaced the engine in my '96 a couple years ago, I had a similar problem. I finally took a day, and went over it with a fine toothed comb. I found that I had missed a ground connection on the right side, behind the the distributor. I reconnected it, and my stumble went away.

corkey723

Reaction score
Here is my question. Being it has a vortec motor, which we all know flows much better, and makes more power, do you know if it was chipped or tuned at any point. This could be causing drivability issues since stock the tbi is almost outflowed. This is just my $.02, but can anyone else back this up?

Kglazier

Reaction score
Here is my question. Being it has a vortec motor, which we all know flows much better, and makes more power, do you know if it was chipped or tuned at any point. This could be causing drivability issues since stock the tbi is almost outflowed. This is just my $.02, but can anyone else back this up?
It has not been tuned to my knowledge and that is on my list of things to do because I also need a egr delete as I am not running it does anyone know of a good place to get a chip tuned for a vortec

LSUfan71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hi everyone I'm new to the forum but not new to 88-98 gm trucks. I like to think I know my way around an engine but this problem has got me stumped. If anyone can help me out it would be amazing! I recently bought a 95 suburban with a bad fuel pump and upon purchase noticed a vortec under the hood (bonus!) with a 4bbl intake and tbi adapter. Ok, so first things first I replaced my fuel pump and fuel filter. It then fired right up and about 5 min later stalled but fired right back up. For about a month now it has been stalling in traffic whenever at idle. I have already replaced fuel pump, filter, rebuild throttle body including fpr, TPS, iac, cts and connector, map sensor, coil and cleaned all grounds. The only code I get is for a knock sensor #43 and ocassionally #15 cts but hasn't been back in a few days. I am stumped please help me.

This fuel pump is apparently the original which I just removed from my '94 Chev K1500 this weekend. The numbers look to be "25320072 0921 207". I have no idea what they mean. I replaced it with a new Delphi HP10000.

* Oops, posted to wrong thread. Sorry

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

LSUfan71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
For about a month now it has been stalling in traffic whenever at idle...

My truck was doing this also. I set the base timing and base idle properly, was still stalling. I reasoned that the engine was definitely getting enough air to avoid stalling because the base idle was set correctly, so I figured the ECM must be limiting fuel flow whenever the truck stalled at idle in traffic, which led me to figure the O2 sensor was the culprit (I had replaced the O2 sensor less than a year ago). I checked Delphi's e-catalog and realized I had used the wrong O2 sensor. So I guessed my O2 sensor was causing the problem because it was either the wrong sensor or was going bad.

Anyway, I disconnected the O2 sensor and the problem resolved itself. My truck is idling fine now in traffic with the O2 sensor disconnected (check engine light on, of course). Now, once the correct O2 sensor arrives in a few days (Delphi ES10005) and IF I have the same problem after it's connected then I'll be really confused.

Currently I have the Delphi ES10966 O2 sensor but I don't know what the differences are between it and the ES10005.:shrug: