5.7 tbi DTC 44 backfiring and missing intermittently.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cng2500hd

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just got my 90' k1500 on the road and 2 day's later it gets a cel,starts missing and backfires if I stay in it. The code shows to be lean bank 1. I have a new fuel pump, filter's, plug's, wire's, cap and rotor. Any idea's what it may be?

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The code shows to be lean bank 1. I have a new fuel pump, filter's, plug's, wire's, cap and rotor.
Code 44 is for lean exhaust, TBIs only have 1 O2 sensor so, it can't tell you if it's bank 1 or 2. Since you changed the fuel pump and filter have you checked your fuel pressure? The regulator spring may be broken or weak. You may have a split in the little hose that connects the fuel pump to the sender unit.

If it's misfiring you can get a lean code due to un-burned fuel resulting in high oxygen content in the exhaust. A bad coil and/or ICM can cause this too.

https://www.freeautomechanic.com/gm-code-44-lean-exhaust.html

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
^^^ Yup.

Connect a scan tool, look at the data stream. Find out what the computer is trying to tell you.

Verify fuel pressure; verify ignition timing including timing advance.

And make sure both fuel injectors seem to be squirting an equal amount of fuel.