5.3 nv4500 swap questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kyle89

10-17-22 sober date
Reaction score
Okay so I've decided once j get the money I'm going to a 5.3 since they are a dime a dozen 6.0 and 6.2s little harder to come by for the right price since I am going to be doing a carb setup. With a budget in mind (low as possable) the intake and engine controller on summit is 700 bucks for both rulecter wheels I will not be running ac so all I need is a long block,ps,alt,and water pump the water pump will be new. Just newbie questions I understand a 6.0 flywheel works great for the first gen nv4500s would the clutch for a 92 350 work? Which shorty headers would be best for 4x4. And which 5.3 is best to look for ?

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Man, that is a lot of money just to make an LS work with a carb. Seems to be you'd be money ahead using the factory LS fuel injection and ignition system with the donor PCM, and retain all the benefits of fuel injection. I really don't know why you would want to carb an LS. There are plenty of people out there who make drop in full vehicle wiring harnesses for LS swaps if wiring is what you're trying to avoid.

Kyle89

10-17-22 sober date
Reaction score
I have been reading about that if I go that route I'm gonna go 6.0 i absolutely hate wiring and dont like working on fuel injectjon... if i go that route i was thinking a 2002 all iron lq4 and someone said that year 6.0 will bolt up to my nv4500 no problem I would just have to find the right flywheel and have it tuned to run right in front of a 5 speed that sounds like more a of a headache. 700 bucks for the intake and ignition setup 1300 for a 2002 lq4 146k miles I have yet to figure out what accessory brackets I'll have to change or how long of a belt cause I'm not running ac.dirty dingo moter mounts bout a hundred bucks. It's annoyingly pain staking trying to figure it out. I was thinking 5.3 for milage but I just did some reading on the 6.0 and like what I read. 400+ hp and torque stock with a carb and j was wanting to build a sbc to crack 400 hp....