5.0 305 vs 5.7 350

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Parentnoia

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
How exactly do you tell the difference? A guy in my automotive class wants to know exactly what engine he has in his 96. When he bought it, he was told it was a 6 cylinder, which he knew was blatantly wrong. His underhood sticker says 5.0, which would make it a 305. But it looks IDENTICAL to my 5.7, only it seems to sit lower in the engine bay. But so does everything else in his engine bay. So my question is, how do you visually tell the difference without starting to tear it apart?

Big D

Atoadaso I f*kn Atoadaso
Reaction score
floor it, if it barely moves......its a 305:burnout:

If its stock, you can go by the vin number, 8th digit, I believe "M" is a 5.0 and "R" is a 5.7 for 1996

Last edited:

Parentnoia

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
floor it, if it barely moves......its a 305:burnout:

If its stock, you can go by the vin number, 8th digit, I believe "M" is a 5.0 and "R" is a 5.7 for 1996
Our issue is the fact that we're not 100% sure it's stock.
But maybe I should clarify why we need to know. He's having issues with backfires and such like my suburban had when I first go it. Problem is, I dont know if the same fixes I did to my 350 will work on the 305 (fuel injectors mainly).

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
Look behind the drivers side cylinder head. It will have a large 5.0 or 5.7 cast there between the deck surface and the trans bell housing.

Parentnoia

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
He's decided to cut his losses and just go based off his VIN, which is a 305. He says he thinks the reason it's in such crap condition is because everyone that has worked on it before has been working on it as a 350. I dunno how much of a difference that would make, but he doesnt seem to be too receptive of my input, so I'm just gonna leave him be.

oohunter04oo

Like a Rock
Reaction score
Also a 305 only has one catalytic converter. The exhaust is like on a v6 truck. If not the same.

96-1500

Bluenoser
Reaction score
Here is a 5.7 vortec out of a truck
You must be registered for see images attach

And here is the number on the back drivers side. Note the "5.7" mark.
You must be registered for see images attach

Only easy sure fire way to tell. Hope this helps.

Sent from somewhere between here and there