4x4 problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lpels1

Reaction score
I have a 95 suburban which drives fine in 2wd. when i put it in 4x4 there is an occasional knock from the front end. the problem is that when i try to turn while in 4x4 the steering locks up or gets stuck to where i can not straighten the wheel. I must put the truck back in 2wd and drive around and eventually it will pop back into place allowing me to steer again. this is my first 4x4 so i am not really versed in what I am looking at and I hope i have described my problem well enough so someone might know what is going on. I plan to sas it but its going to be a year or so before i can get to that.

thoughts?

thanks in advance

IOWNJUNK

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Is it ok when you go straight? Could be different gears front/rear. If you can go straight without any odd noises then I would agree with a cv shaft binding. You aren't doing this on pavement, are you?

lpels1

Reaction score
well the original problem occured on pavement while snow pack was on the ground. this was on a dirt road. gears are the same front and rear no problems except an occasional knock from the front while driving straight. so you think one of the cv shafts may be bent?

slippy3002

Master Machinist
Reaction score
Not necessarily bet, but the joint being bad. How are the boots. I'm only saying this because it's under load in 4wd.

How are the u-joints?

This is only in 4wd?

Sent from Robl@nd

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
I had one that would bind and jerk under load in my 3/4 ton a couple of weeks ago. In 2wd it made no noise at all. 4x4 was fine until you made it pull, then it would raise holy hell. CV axles are a cheap place to start, especially if one of your boots is tore up.

slippy3002

Master Machinist
Reaction score
I had one that would bind and jerk under load in my 3/4 ton a couple of weeks ago. In 2wd it made no noise at all. 4x4 was fine until you made it pull, then it would raise holy hell. CV axles are a cheap place to start, especially if one of your boots is tore up.

This is why I immediately said cv joint. I had the u-joints in the front axle in my old jeep that were bad. They only made noise under load.

Sent from Robl@nd

lpels1

Reaction score
both boots look intact i cant see any tears in them. of course the truck has 220,000 miles on it

slippy3002

Master Machinist
Reaction score
Just because there is no tar in tears in the boots doesn't mean they are good. See if they have any play in the shafts at all.could be time for new ones. Did you check the front u-joints on the front drive shafts?

Sent from Robl@nd