4x4 not working 98 Z71

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CRF450R

Truckin'
Reaction score
So my 4x4 was working just fine and out of no were It just stopped my truck is a 98 Z71 1500 with pushbutton 4x4 ( don't even start with that I F#ckin hate manual shift 4x4s the auto 4x4 was one of the reasons I bought this Z71) Now it's from what I can tell not the pushbutton systems fault I got my truck on some ice hooked a heavy duty chain to it and my loaded cube van had my z71 in 2wd then clicked it to 4x4 I laid on the ground to see if it was my transfer not shifting into 4x4 at a safe distance I could see the front drive shaft turning aswell as the passenger side shaft coming from the front diff but yet that passenger front wheel will not drive. Any suggestions? When the buttons on the dash don't flash soon as i click 4h or low you can hear the truck engage into 4x4 it's definitely a clunk saying I'm in 4x4 and shafts are turning just not the front wheels wtf?Thanks for any input and Merry Christmas to everyone.

RawbDidIt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So you're truck is stationary, in 4x4, both drive shafts turning, but neither of your front wheels are spinning and at least one of your rear wheels is turning? Is other the front diff, the half shaft or the hub if that's the case. Diff you check to make sure neither of your front wheels are spinning? Unless you have limited slip, or locking front diff only one wheel is required to turn, if neither are, it points to diff as it's unlikely you broke something on both sides of your diff.

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk

CRF450R

Truckin'
Reaction score
So you're truck is stationary, in 4x4, both drive shafts turning, but neither of your front wheels are spinning and at least one of your rear wheels is turning? Is other the front diff, the half shaft or the hub if that's the case. Diff you check to make sure neither of your front wheels are spinning? Unless you have limited slip, or locking front diff only one wheel is required to turn, if neither are, it points to diff as it's unlikely you broke something on both sides of your diff.

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk
I have a locker in the rear both rear tires were sping forward at a idle both drive shafts were going and front passenger cv axle was also sping but the wheel wasnt. Passenger cv axle is turning but not the wheel I'm going to guess a bad cv axle? It's got 370km the cv shafts have never bin replaced transfer case 4l60e and diffs have never bin changed just the fluids and fluids I just did with all John deere oil transmission got amsoil aswell as transfer case. I will say my truck developed a slite vibration on the highway 110km/h in 4x4 I forgot it was in 4x4 and noticed a vibration I looked down saw I was still in 4x4 I clicked it back into 2wd and the vibration stopped the 4x4 has always worked flawlessly on this truck and not sure why cv axles on the front spin the the wheels don't.

Last edited:

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why is this posted in Engine Performance + Maintenance?

I could see the front drive shaft turning aswell as the passenger side shaft coming from the front diff but yet that passenger front wheel will not drive.
The CV SHAFT coming out of the differential on the passenger side is turning, but the wheel isn't turning?

Broken CV joint
or
Stripped splines between shaft and hub

Very unusual.

CRF450R

Truckin'
Reaction score
Why is this posted in Engine Performance + Maintenance?

The SHAFT coming out of the differential on the passenger side is turning, but the wheel isn't turning?

Broken CV joint

Stripped splines between shaft and hub
I wasnt sure were to post it. Oka good to know I'll get a acdelco one ordered asap. I'm assuming I should just do both? Is there a better aftermarket brand besides acdelco?

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It is PROBABLY the CV axle.

"I" would lift that wheel off the ground, spin it by hand, see what doesn't turn.

If the CV joint housing turns, the joint is broken inside. If the CV joint housing doesn't turn, it's the splines between joint and hub.

If the hub is stripped, a new CV shaft may or may not be required, depending on whether the male or female splines failed. You'd have to disassemble to be sure which is bad--or both.

I'd be buying whatever CV shaft ISN'T sourced from Communist China. I bought one for my '88, I don't remember what brand it was/is. Ended up using the CV shafts from the Treasure Yard truck I stole the steering knuckles, brakes, and control arms from. The "new" one is still in the box, in the shop.

I wouldn't replace the other one unless there's a reason--torn boots, noisy, vibrates, whatever. If it's good...leave it alone.

CRF450R

Truckin'
Reaction score
It is PROBABLY the CV axle.

"I" would lift that wheel off the ground, spin it by hand, see what doesn't turn.

If the CV joint housing turns, the joint is broken inside. If the CV joint housing doesn't turn, it's the splines between joint and hub.

If the hub is stripped, a new CV shaft may or may not be required, depending on whether the male or female splines failed. You'd have to disassemble to be sure which is bad--or both.

I'd be buying whatever CV shaft ISN'T sourced from Communist China. I bought one for my '88, I don't remember what brand it was/is. Ended up using the CV shafts from the Treasure Yard truck I stole the steering knuckles, brakes, and control arms from. The "new" one is still in the box, in the shop.

I wouldn't replace the other one unless there's a reason--torn boots, noisy, vibrates, whatever. If it's good...leave it alone.
Oka from what I witnessed with the truck tied off to my 12 000lb parked cube van at a idle in drive the front passenger cv axle spins just not the wheel. But I'll Jack it up and see what's happening or just say the hell with it I got 800lbs in the box with a locking 14 bolt I hardly ever really need 4x4

Mr Eric

Reaction score
Oka from what I witnessed with the truck tied off to my 12 000lb parked cube van at a idle in drive the front passenger cv axle spins just not the wheel. But I'll Jack it up and see what's happening or just say the hell with it I got 800lbs in the box with a locking 14 bolt I hardly ever really need 4x4

Post some photos once you get it up on the lift. I'm interested to see what is wrong.

Good luck with the repair.