96 Suburban 4x4 won't engage...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

danxnorman

Reaction score
Afternoon! Im a new member with a 96 Suburban. 4x4 won't engage. Light on 2H button stays on but light on 4H and 4L buttons flashing. I have replaced the thermo-actuator. It does go into Low range but still only rear wheels driving. What should I check next? If it's the clip on the passenger side drive shaft in the diff, that might be beyond my abilities but I'm open to suggestions... Thanks!

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds more like a transfer case problem than a differential problem, although with low-range active I may be wrong.

Do you have power and ground at the thermo-acutator? If you unscrew it from the axle, then plug the electrical connector back in, does it pop out within 30 seconds or so when the transfer case is shifted into 4WD?

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Moofus02

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What transfercase? It is going into low range but not turning front drive shaft? Does the front shaft turn the front axle when the axuator engages?