4wd removal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

copernicusd

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
4wd works ok on my truck, but was wondering if it ever went out, could i just remove most the stuff, transfer case, axles shafts and all, or would i have to buy 2wd parts or plugs for the transmission or anything
never messed with 4wd before, aside from moveing the axle shaft when doping the ball joints, was a pain

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I have done this, up front you have to keep the Stub or end part of the CVJ's on the end that hold the bearings together, so I removed the stub from the CVJ, there is a clip in there that can be removed and it will slide off of the CVJ, and then I just kept the splinned part so that it could be bolted back in to hold the bearing assembly's together. I also remove the front axle, front driveshaft, I also removed the 4wd shifter and all component's of it, but I left the transfer case on the trans because the trans was freshly rebuilt and I didn't want to spend the money to convert it to a 2wd trans yet, I ve been driving it that way for 4 year's.

Tempted

Banned
Reaction score
I have done this, up front you have to keep the Stub or end part of the CVJ's on the end that hold the bearings together, so I removed the stub from the CVJ, there is a clip in there that can be removed and it will slide off of the CVJ, and then I just kept the splinned part so that it could be bolted back in to hold the bearing assembly's together. I also remove the front axle, front driveshaft, I also removed the 4wd shifter and all component's of it, but I left the transfer case on the trans because the trans was freshly rebuilt and I didn't want to spend the money to convert it to a 2wd trans yet, I ve been driving it that way for 4 year's.

And you get 2 Lo. I wouldn't remove the transfer case. That way you don't need a new drive shaft.

copernicusd

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
but if i need a new tranny i could just go with a 2wd one and change driveshaft?

Tempted

Banned
Reaction score
but if i need a new tranny i could just go with a 2wd one and change driveshaft?

Make sure you get the right year trans. There are a few different versions of the 4L60 and they aren't all directly interchangeable.

copernicusd

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
what about drive shafts, any differences in year, or engine? or are they just different between 4 wheel and 2 wheel
figure it would be easy to find a used one at a junk yard, they generaly dont go bad, just the universal joints right?

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you look for one at the scrapyard check to make sure its not bent from them picking the vehicles up with the loader and forks.

1LEG

Reaction score

I would love to do this to my 1993 4wd. Do you have any pictures of the sub shaft set-up? Did you do any reinforcement to the front frame after removing the front third member? I'f you have a build thread with pictures i would love a link.

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Sorry I don't have any pic's, and no I didn't touch the frame after I unbolted the from differential from it, I did it 4 year's ago.