4wd not working, push button flashes when engaged.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AJKZ71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My 97 ecsb has the NP241 push button transfer case and when ever you engage it into 4wd, the light just flashes 4hi. Never engages the front wheels. When you put it into 4low, you hear the transfer case engage, still the front wheels dont lock in. But when its in 4low the back wheels are pulling like the trucks in 4low but the fronts never engage. What could be causing this? Transfer case motor or actuator i was thinking.

Any input would be of great help!

rhino

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Put it in 4wd, see if there is 12 volts at the front actuator. If it is, and its not engaging thats the problem.

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
Most of the time you can listen to see if it's actuating or not. Sometimes pulling the fuses for a couple of minutes and putting them back in will reset it and help it.

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
Most likely the actuator or the encoder motor. We had this happen on a friends truck a few years back. We bought a new encoder and put it one, but the damn thing still didn't work. We unplugged the battery for a couple hours to try and reset the system, and it still didn't work. Somehow pulling the fuse and putting it back in made it work.