4wd actuators

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dirtautoguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My dad has been complaining lately that his 4wd takes forever to engage. It’s a 1997 k2500 with the 454 push button 4wd

I know on my 96 k1500 there was a updated actuator from thermal to electric which my truck has and was done by the previous owner.

I told him about it and then I got to thinking that his 3/4 ton has a little bit different differential. I can find tons of info on this for half tons but does it apply to 2500 trucks too?

From what I understand there is a harness that converts the 2 pin plug to a 5 pin plug with 3 wires in it. The 2 pin connects to the existing plug for the old actuator and the 3rd wire is ran to a keyed power source.

Is there someone that can confirm this info?

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
I assume its a 6-lug k2500?

I only say that because my 1997 k3500 is still a floor shifter.

if its a 6-lug then everything from a 1500 should be applicable to it.

dirtautoguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Nope it’s an 8 lugger.

I didn’t think the 6 lug 2500s were very common

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There's a GM bulletin on that conversion. Dorman sells the wire harness and spacer as a kit, Dorman p/n 600-600. They--and others--sell the actuator, too.

Edit: Here's instructions from Dorman:

And the GM bulletin:

They say that some axle assemblies need a touch-up with a grinder to make the stepper-motor actuator fit the iron housing.

And it doesn't work at all in some 3500s .
ON 1988-93 MODELS WITH A GVW RATING OVER 8500#, THE NEW
ACTUATOR CANNOT BE INSTALLED AND THE THERMAL ACTUATOR WILL REMAIN THE
SERVICE PART.

Last edited:

yevgenievich

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
For My 97 8 lug front, the conversion worked fine with the spacer.

dirtautoguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
that’s some good info. From what I can tell it should work. It’s a k2500 srw im pretty sure it has a gvwr of 8500lbs so it should pretty much be plug and play other than the one wire that needs spliced in.

I read on another forum some people said the wire does not need to be spliced where the instructions say it does but rather is just needs keyed power. Can anyone confirm this?

yevgenievich

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
that’s some good info. From what I can tell it should work. It’s a k2500 srw im pretty sure it has a gvwr of 8500lbs so it should pretty much be plug and play other than the one wire that needs spliced in.

I read on another forum some people said the wire does not need to be spliced where the instructions say it does but rather is just needs keyed power. Can anyone confirm this?
Generally that is correct. By following instructions, it is coonected on the 4wd fuse