4wd 4l60e to 2wd

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Eveready

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm having a hard time thinking of a showstopper here.

It largely depends on how good (and persistent) the OP is. He has already mentioned being a single dad, something which takes huge blocks of time. Also funding is an issue and a sick child in the middle of this could sink him like a stone. He cited several unknowns in the execution of the 2wd conversion and the demon Murphy lies in wait for this sort of project.

In my opinion this is a disaster waiting to happen. I sincerely hope it does not play out that way.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
It largely depends on how good (and persistent) the OP is. He has already mentioned being a single dad, something which takes huge blocks of time. Also funding is an issue and a sick child in the middle of this could sink him like a stone. He cited several unknowns in the execution of the 2wd conversion and the demon Murphy lies in wait for this sort of project.

In my opinion this is a disaster waiting to happen. I sincerely hope it does not play out that way.

I think we pretty well answered those questions. PCM doesn't matter, he has trans and driveshaft so it will bolt in and plug in. 4wd uses an extension harness for VSS, so he'll disconnect that to plug in VSS. He'll set the front driveshaft aside and that will be that. Even if his kid gets sick in the middle of it it sounds like this truck isn't a driver anyway so it's not like he'd lose it. Swap can be knocked out in a day with good conditions and a helper on jackstands. If he's in the rust belt he should expect to pad that time a bit.

thegawd

I'm Done!
Reaction score
if it will bolt together you could drive it without even plugging in the trans plug, but in 3rd only. you will have reverse and you can manually shift from 1st or 2nd (cant remember) to 3rd to get going a bit easier.

despite what everyone else is saying (not that they're wrong, cuz they are not) it will work. I drove my truck in 3rd for about a month, it is a stage 3 HD though, I had a failed ignition switch.

theres 6 kids under my roof.... LOL.

Al

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
if it will bolt together you could drive it without even plugging in the trans plug, but in 3rd only. you will have reverse and you can manually shift from 1st or 2nd (cant remember) to 3rd to get going a bit easier.

despite what everyone else is saying (not that they're wrong, cuz they are not) it will work. I drove my truck in 3rd for about a month, it is a stage 3 HD though, I had a failed ignition switch.

theres 6 kids under my roof.... LOL.

Al

Thing is he can plug this trans in and it'll have all the gears until it takes a **** like all 4L60Es.