4wd 4l60e to 2wd

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Larry A Hall

Reaction score
hey everybody, glad to be apart of yalls forum. Ive have a 98 chevy tahoe 4wd and the sunshell gear gave up the ghost. So im going to rebuild the 4wd 4l60e. I have a 2wd 4l60e, can i swap the 2wd in place of the 4wd for the time being? I have a drive shaft, I'm needing to know what wiring is needed to make this swap if any. I know it won't be a plug and play but I'd figure if ask. Thanks

Jerryred94silvy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I’m pretty sure you’ll have to tear both transmissions apart to swap the output shafts. You’ll also need to trade out the tail housings.

Larry A Hall

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, I understand the output shafts are different, but can i install the 2wd tranny in and make it work. Pcm ecm won't be different or need flashed or anything. Just seeing if anybody burned up their 4wd trans and put a 2wd in its place. I may not be asking this question right lol

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I think he's asking just swapping his 2wd tranny for the time being until the 4x4 unit is rebuilt just to get rolling?

Are the crossmembers the same? The spare driveshaft is stock for a 2wd version of your truck?

On the 4x4 4L80e some of them use the speed sensor in the transfer case instead of the output shaft speed sensor built into the case. All 2wd 4L80e have input/output shaft speed sensors on the tranny case. I'm not sure how the 4L60 4x4 are setup, so may want to look at this.

What TC do you have?

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
With the right driveshaft I don't see a reason why it wouldn't bolt in and go. May have lights on for the non-existent transfer case and missing VSS. The real question is why? That's a lot of work to put off a trans rebuild.

Larry A Hall

Reaction score
Yes you are right. I just need to get some wheels. I'm a single dad between school work and life and learning to rebuild the 4wd trans,i can't get it done in a timely manner. But i have a2wd trans same year . So swap tail house /reluctor ring and maybe re wire vss from tc to tail shaft. Drive shaft and cross member are from donor truck no prob there. I didn't know if the pcm is programed for a 4wd vs 2wd, and if that would mess up the hand shake between the pcm/ecu systems. I'm not a computer/reprogram person

Larry A Hall

Reaction score
I figured somebody on here had to of swapped out a 4wd 4l60e to a 2wd for whatever reasons somewhere along the lines.i greatly appreciate yalls time and help, i understand some things people ask are questionable and redundant but sometimes a man has to get by with what he has.

Eveready

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I am going to burn my 1000th post here to advise against this. There are way too many unknowns and you are liable to end up with a mess on your hands and no wheels. I would look for an inexpensive beater to use to get through the Winter while saving up to get the 4wd done right. The other way of course would be to sell the 2wd trans and take out a loan to get the 4wd rebuilt.

I would hate to see you stuck with no wheels if something went bad in the middle of this. You could end up even deeper in the hole and walking. Just my 2 cents. Welcome to the forum.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I am going to burn my 1000th post here to advise against this. There are way too many unknowns and you are liable to end up with a mess on your hands and no wheels. I would look for an inexpensive beater to use to get through the Winter while saving up to get the 4wd done right. The other way of course would be to sell the 2wd trans and take out a loan to get the 4wd rebuilt.

I would hate to see you stuck with no wheels if something went bad in the middle of this. You could end up even deeper in the hole and walking. Just my 2 cents. Welcome to the forum.

I'm having a hard time thinking of a showstopper here.