4l80e problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TruckinThruTEXAS

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys I happen to have problems with my trans(4l80e) it's in a 94 3/4 ton. I got my truck running with a good built motor a few weeks ago found out my trans is out reverse is good. 1st and 2nd good but no 3rd 4th won't even engage if done manually. I Googled my problem but came up with nothing. I looked thru the common 4l60e problems thread but I know these trans are nothing alike. Any input will be appeciated and Thanks in advance!

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

TruckinThruTEXAS

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I will as soon as I pull codes I'll update. Is this a common prob on 80E's as well?

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Nope. Sounds like you are describing protection (limp) mode.

Should be codes if that is what's going on....

shovelhead90*

Reaction score
I had this problem with my '97 454 truck after an engine out maintainance event. Turned out to be the shift solenoids had failed. A little over $60.00 and an hour's labor changing them and it has worked well for another three years and untold miles.

I just picked up a problem with the lock-up converter but I'll ask about that on another thread.

rhino

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Did this happen as soon as you put the new engine in? Was is running fine before the engine swap? On a 4L80E the direct clutches come on in reverse as well as the band. The direct clutches are also on in 3rd and 4th. So usually if its a 3rd gear problem reverse is slipping also if its a clutch problem. The "B" shift solenoid comes on in 3rd and 4th, it is off in 1st and 2nd. That is where I would look. Change both while you are in there. But.... if you just swapped the engine and it worked good before and as soon as you put the engine in its not I would look over the wiring very well.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
I had this problem with my '97 454 truck after an engine out maintainance event. Turned out to be the shift solenoids had failed. A little over $60.00 and an hour's labor changing them and it has worked well for another three years and untold miles.

I just picked up a problem with the lock-up converter but I'll ask about that on another thread.

LOL, I have the solenoids and a new internal wiring harness in the shop on spec for the possibility of just such an event....

TruckinThruTEXAS

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score

Thanks for the heads up hopefully it'll be that simple here

Did this happen as soon as you put the new engine in? Was is running fine before the engine swap? On a 4L80E the direct clutches come on in reverse as well as the band. The direct clutches are also on in 3rd and 4th. So usually if its a 3rd gear problem reverse is slipping also if its a clutch problem. The "B" shift solenoid comes on in 3rd and 4th, it is off in 1st and 2nd. That is where I would look. Change both while you are in there. But.... if you just swapped the engine and it worked good before and as soon as you put the engine in its not I would look over the wiring very well.

Never got to drive it before since I trailed it home wasnt in running condition but I'm almost sure it won't be wireing for sure my trans sometimes will delay to engage in reverse but very rarely. I'll try shooting parts at it starting with the solenoids since I'm unable to take it to a shop to scan for codes without registration or insurance lol