4l80 interchange

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jane7191

Reaction score
I just bought a 96 cheyenne dually 5.7 4x2 auto for my boyfriend and there's no reverse so I had the fluid flushed but didn't fix it so I want to find another transmission or have it rebuilt but want to compare prices for each but don't know what years are compatible the only info I found so far is 95, 96 and 97 4l80's but I was hoping for more years to choose anyway any help would really be appreciated.

Jane

Eveready

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I just bought a 96 cheyenne dually 5.7 4x2 auto for my boyfriend and there's no reverse so I had the fluid flushed but didn't fix it so I want to find another transmission or have it rebuilt but want to compare prices for each but don't know what years are compatible the only info I found so far is 95, 96 and 97 4l80's but I was hoping for more years to choose anyway any help would really be appreciated.

Welcome to the forum. Any woman who will buy her guy a truck is someone really special. I hope he appreciates you! I am not a transmission guru but there are several here who will help you. I just wanted to thank you for being the sort of woman guys dream of.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
If you want everything to swap in exactly the same as the old one, you're actually going to be looking for a '94-'96 from a 2wd. '97 and up had different locations for the cooler line fittings so you'd have to swap lines or make new ones.

Any 2wd 4L80E will bolt up to the engine, it's all about how much other stuff you're willing to change. Personally I'd stick to '94-'96 in your situation. Here's a good resource for you on 80E differences.

https://sites.google.com/site/sloppywiki/everything-ls/4l80e-info

MIHELA

1-5-6-3-4-2-7-8
Reaction score
It could be a broken reverse servo. This seems to be a common problem. Sonnax also makes an improved reverse/boost valve which helps alleviate the problem. Both are accessible with the pan off.

jane7191

Reaction score
I wasn't getting alerts when they were any responses so glad to see help is out there I've been struggling to find any answers thank you so much going to check out the link and also have pan removed to look into broken reverse servo. There was a work grill on it so I bought a new chrome grill, new head lights and parking lights, cast chrome white trucks horse, chrome towing mirrors, stainless side steps, wheel simulators,stainless fender trim, hood bug shield etc... and it's in right now getting rocker panel graphics so I really want to get the trans straightened out going to look into the reverse servo asap!!!!! appreciate all the help
jane
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

jane7191

Reaction score
If you want everything to swap in exactly the same as the old one, you're actually going to be looking for a '94-'96 from a 2wd. '97 and up had different locations for the cooler line fittings so you'd have to swap lines or make new ones.

Any 2wd 4L80E will bolt up to the engine, it's all about how much other stuff you're willing to change. Personally I'd stick to '94-'96 in your situation. Here's a good resource for you on 80E differences.

https://sites.google.com/site/sloppywiki/everything-ls/4l80e-info
ok gotcha I agree for sure better to avoid complications and stick to not having to modity anything but today I found a great deal for a trans from a 2000 4x2 diesel that had recently been rebuilt with receipts for $300- because it was totalled from rear accident going to try and find out how messy it would be to use that

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
ok gotcha I agree for sure better to avoid complications and stick to not having to modity anything but today I found a great deal for a trans from a 2000 4x2 diesel that had recently been rebuilt with receipts for $300- because it was totalled from rear accident going to try and find out how messy it would be to use that

Cooler lines aren't going to work at all due to the different port locations on the transmission case. If you do that you're going to have to make your own cooler lines or swap some in from a 97+ GMT400 truck.

jane7191

Reaction score
probably a dumb question but will a 4l60 work?
Because he's not thrilled with the truck at all he appreciates how clean it is but I can tell he has his heart set on getting his 99 3500HD with manual trans back on the road it's been in the shop 2 years at first their so busy took a while to have it diagnosed and after that he doesn't have the money to fix it . They said one of the rocker arms is making noise not because it's bad but from what I understand the housing which holds it is worn but when they had it partially disassemble they said they saw some antifreeze on top of the head and didn't want to explore more if the head was leaking etc. So there it sits my boyfriend insists they want to rip him off and doesn't believe them and bought all new rocker arms from the chevy dealer and is going to put them in himself soon to see if it fixed it but the shop has a great reputation and didn't even charge for the diagnosis and insists that a rocker will not fix it. I hope this makes sense I probably didn't describe the problem correctly but I know they it's whatever is under the rocker arm and they'd have to tear the motor down further which of course would cost money and there's the chance the parts could be very very expensive I forget the name of it or the best scenrio is something else that I don't remember but is fairly cheap. My boyfriend says the antifreeze might be fromt when he changed the injection pump but that had been 6 months earlier anyway he thinks the truck I bought him is too nice he likes a manual diesel work truck oh well good intentions. thanks for any help in advance I did find a 4l80 in junk yard for $500 that they say is an older reman didn't contact yet for details geez these are hard to find well with a 3 year span that is.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Don't downgrade from a 4L80E to a 4L60E. You will regret it at some point in terms of reliability. Not to mention the fact that you'd need a new (longer) driveshaft, re-located crossmember, different cooler lines, and a custom tune on the PCM among other things just to run it. You would spend enough money to buy 3 junkyard 4L80Es by the time you converted your truck to use a 4L60E.

Have you checked http://www.car-part.com/? They have a giant nationwide database of salvage yard inventories.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ben1975