4L60E to 700R4 swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hood93z

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hi guys as some of you know I've been having problems out of my trans wiring harness.. So giving that I just swapped my brothers truck to a 5 speed and he gave me his freshly rebuilt 700R4.

So what I'm going to do is replace the 4L60E with the 700R4 temporally, while I save up some money for a 5.3 and 6 speed auto trans. If I'm happy with the 700 I'll probably keep it for a while install corvette style servo and so on.

You must be registered for see images attach

That's the fresh 700R4

More pics coming as I continue this swap should be done tomorow as I gotta have it for work Monday morning

Hood93z

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok I'm running the 700r4 with no harness it's doing great no problems have every gear 1-4 just no lock up

tman2331

Reaction score
Hey I'm looking to do something similar with 1994 gmc sierra k1500 and 4l60e. Was wondering if it just bolts up like if it were a replacement 4l60e as far drive shafts and transfer case mounts goes.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Perhaps a moderator will move this necro-thread out of "Engines" and into "Transmissions".

If the lockup converter doesn't work, does the cooler circuit still work? I've heard that if the converter clutch doesn't engage, the cooler circuit is disabled. The trans overheats, and the planetary gears and shafts don't get lubed, 'cause that's what the cooled fluid returning to the transmission does--lube the geartrain.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Overall, I'd prefer to not "guess".

Part of what drives my question, is that I've never been able to verify that on a stock application, with a converter clutch, that if the clutch doesn't engage, it disables the cooler circuit.