4l60e to 4l80e swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jason Green

Reaction score
Hello I'm new to this site and I'm looking for some advice on my swap

I have a 94' K1500 with a 4l60e and I have a donor 2000 K2500 with a 4l80e. What else would I need to make this swap

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Shorter rear driveshaft, longer front driveshaft, different input shaft on your transfer case, different U-joints, minor wiring modification to the transmission harness, addition of an input speed sensor and wiring to the appropriate pins on the PCM, programming the PCM or swapping to the correct PCM to control the 4L80E, different cooler lines, and a bunch of other little stuff.

This isn't really a direct comparison as the truck I did the swap in is a '97 C1500, but here's the thread I posted on the subject. Some of the stuff should still be helpful to you, but the fact that you're running an older computer and a 4WD truck will complicate things.

https://www.gmt400.com/threads/97-c1500-4l60e-to-4l80e-swap.38819/

Welcome to the site and good luck with your swap!

Jason Green

Reaction score
Shorter rear driveshaft, longer front driveshaft, different input shaft on your transfer case, different U-joints, minor wiring modification to the transmission harness, addition of an input speed sensor and wiring to the appropriate pins on the PCM, programming the PCM or swapping to the correct PCM to control the 4L80E, different cooler lines, and a bunch of other little stuff.

This isn't really a direct comparison as the truck I did the swap in is a '97 C1500, but here's the thread I posted on the subject. Some of the stuff should still be helpful to you, but the fact that you're running an older computer and a 4WD truck will complicate things.

https://www.gmt400.com/threads/97-c1500-4l60e-to-4l80e-swap.38819/

Welcome to the site and good luck with your swap!
Complicate how?

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Complicate how?

Mainly just because you're dealing with the transfer case and front driveshaft, I didn't have to mess with any of that.

The older PCM you have will probably be an issue too, not many people out there who are willing to tune them. I'm sure you can figure something out though. Worst case scenario you could use a stand alone controller for the transmission, but that's a lot of money and I'm sure your stock PCM is capable of controlling the 4L80E with the right tune.

Jason Green

Reaction score
Complicate how?
I know that my
Mainly just because you're dealing with the transfer case and front driveshaft, I didn't have to mess with any of that.

The older PCM you have will probably be an issue too, not many people out there who are willing to tune them. I'm sure you can figure something out though. Worst case scenario you could use a stand alone controller for the transmission, but that's a lot of money and I'm sure your stock PCM is capable of controlling the 4L80E with the right tune.
Thank you very much man

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
You're welcome! Make a thread and let us know how your swap goes. I'm interested to see it done on a 4WD so I'll know what to expect if/when I ever decide to put an 80E in my Suburban.