4l60e to 4l80e info

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Stogie300

Reaction score
I have a 96 suburban an the second 4l60e trans went I got a 4l80e to swap in out of a 2000 k2500 with ecm wire harness an all an I am having trouble finding info on the wiring pin out for the swap keeping the black box ecm everything is for the 411 I'm finding if someone has good info an can help me out I'd greatly appreciate it

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You can keep your black box ECU. You only have to add the output shaft speed sensor. I don't know the location of the 2 wires for this on the black box though.

Will require a reflash for the 80e so ECU can run it correctly.

Or were you thinking running the harness/ECU that came with the 80e? If it was the same engine and gear ratio, I suppose you can run that one. Wouldn't require any reflash in that case. Not certain if there's any difference in truck vs SUVs

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
No need for a pinout. They make a 60 to 80 conversion adaptor. Its plug & play

You still need to add two pins to one connector at the PCM for the ISS. The adapter harnesses are convenient for the trans harness portion of the wiring though.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
https://sites.google.com/site/sloppywiki/everything-ls/4l80e-info

This page has lots of helpful info including the pinout for the trans harness plug.

To find out which two pins to add to the PCM for the ISS you'll need access to a factory service manual or equivalent for your year of truck.

EDIT - In my case ('97 C1500 4.3L) the ISS pins were 7 & 8 on the C3 (gray 32 pin) connector. I would not automatically trust that to be the case with OP's truck though as there were some minor differences in the wiring of the black box PCMs over the years. Like I said, find a factory service manual and double check that.

Last edited:

Stogie300

Reaction score
I have the ecm out of the 80e truck along with the complete wire harness I guess I'm gonna have to sit an pull it all apart to see what goes where just thought maybe someone done this already an would have the answer an save me sometime I will make a post with everything I had to do so there is a post for this swap thanks everyone

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
So I just re-read the OP and realized it seems like you're trying to avoid getting a tune on your PCM by using the PCM and wiring harness from the donor truck. I would scrap that idea and just get the black box PCM in your '96 tuned to control the 4L80E. Wayyy easier IMO. Not sure why you're trying to swap a whole wiring harness for this, it's literally moving two wires at the trans plug and adding two at the PCM connector. Black Bear Performance and several others I'm sure can tune the black boxes to run an 80E.

Stogie300

Reaction score
Lol no no I'm keeping my suburban wiring in I'm just using the black box ecm out of the donor truck so its a direct plug n play I'm just looking to know what wires I need to switch in my suburban wiring

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm not sure if that will work out for you without some additional wiring modifications. Like I mentioned earlier the black box PCMs have some wiring differences throughout the years. The 2000 PCM may not be a direct match for the harness in your '96, even if the connectors are the same. I would want to compare pinouts from factory service manuals to be sure if I were you. Another reason that using the stock PCM from the '96 and getting a tune would be easier IMO.

Stogie300

Reaction score
Ok I got ya yea I'll have to look into that I would think it should be the same except the transmission configuration but I'll deff check that out thanks