4L60E P1870 Code. Repair questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ClubHuntRed

Reaction score
Extra clues.

It has no reverse and now makes a terrible duh duh duh duh duh duh noise. I'm pretty sure it's toast.

I am going to search threads related to 4l80e to 4.3 vortec swaps and see what I can find. If anyone knows a good thread (not necessarly only on gmt400), please post it. I'll need all the help I can get

ClubHuntRed

Reaction score
Hi, I'm back to revisit the issue.

I think I want to try fixing my trans myself and swapping out my "black box" to a 411 PCM. Just sounds like a fun project and a chance to learn more about transmissions and wiring. I also want to run the 4.3 a little longer and have the fun of tuning it for a bit before moving on.

New clues:

1. No Reverse
2. Forward Gear (manual shift into 1st to get the truck into the shop. Big 25 degree incline. Handled it fine.)
3. Checked trans fluid. Trans fluid absolutely does not look or smell burnt at all. It is still a medium colored red. Almost like straight out of the bottle. fluid was recently replaced by me about 12k miles ago.

On 3, I thought I'd have burned up the fluid by driving in 3rd gear at 2k rpm at 55 for around 20 miles. Guess not.

Obviously, I'm not trying to complicate things. I'm trying to make it simpler for myself. I'd like to find the problem first then address it.

Could p1870 be set by a broken external trans wire? How to check it with multimeter?

So, in the next few days, I guess I'm going to drop the pan and see if there is any debris or broken material. Then I guess I will pull the valve body and just go ahead and try the Teckpak isolator valve replacement part

Is there a way to check for proper functioning of the wiring and motor/solenoid inside the pan?

I'm just telling myself K.I.S.S!!!