4L60e level

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GMCanada

Reaction score
I checked my ATF in my 4L60e when I got it a few thousand km ago. It was low, like not even on the dipstick low (I let the truck warm up, then cycled through the gears with the brake on), I got some synthetic D3 compatible to top it up (not sure what was in it). I added about 1/2 liter (quart) then was too afraid to over fill it and honestly forgot about it until a few days ago. I checked it again and it was still barely on the dipstick when warm and running, so I added more, after what I initially added and then now I had added the entire liter (quart) the level was still not at the hot hash marks after a 15 minute drive around town and 10km on the hwy. I then topped it up with another 1/4 liter (quart) and it was perfectly halfway between the hot hash mark area. Now today I took the truck to do some chicken hunting. After driving around some rural roads, a few trails and a 20km drive home on a hwy, I stopped at a grocery store for 10 minutes and then a few blocks home. Once in the garage I checked again and the level (while in park and engine running) was 3mm (1/8”) above the hot hash mark area. There were also some big bubbles in different areas of the fluid, not the small consistent type. After reading the manual it said if you were driving on the hwy you should wait 30 min to check as you could get a false high reading. After 30 minutes (engine not running) in my heat garage I started it again I ran through the gears again with the brake on and the reading was perfectly back between the hot hash marks. The ATF is nice and red and shifts perfectly. I don’t know if I added too much ATF or not, but I’m about to let it sit until I can get the local mechanic to look at it. Thoughts?

Last edited:

thinger2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Any damage they may have occured already happened from driving it around low.
The bubbles may be foamed up fluid from excess heat and air.
But, 1/8 th over when hot and not letting it sit?
Meh...
They only real way to tell is to drop the pan and look for a bunch of crap and glitter in the pan.
Its not hard to do at all its just makes a mess.
You will always see a little bit in an automatic trans so you are looking for "excessive" amounts.
The mechanic will tell you that you need a rebuild.
They always say that. Aint no money in a part thats not broke.
Im not a big fan of synthetic anything in these trucks but thats up too you.
I think youll be just fine as it is.
Keep an eye on it and look for leaks.
If the fluid looks good and its working and shifting correctly?
Dont sweat it
Also, keep in mind, 1/8 of an extra inch of fluid over the volume of the pan amounts to not much.
We could go to the wrecking yard and get 40 GM dipsticks and get 40 different readings.
A little over or under doesnt mean much.
The problem only occurs if its grossly over or under filled.
You're good, keep checking it and drive it

Last edited:

GMCanada

Reaction score
Any damage they may have occured already happened from driving it around low.
The bubbles may be foamed up fluid from excess heat and air.
But, 1/8 th over when hot and not letting it sit?
Meh...
They only real way to tell is to drop the pan and look for a bunch of crap and glitter in the pan.
Its not hard to do at all its just makes a mess.
You will always see a little bit in an automatic trans so you are looking for "excessive" amounts.
The mechanic will tell you that you need a rebuild.
They always say that. Aint no money in a part thats not broke.
Im not a big fan of synthetic anything in these trucks but thats up too you.
I think youll be just fine as it is.
Keep an eye on it and look for leaks.
If the fluid looks good and its working and shifting correctly?
Dont sweat it
Also, keep in mind, 1/8 of an extra inch of fluid over the volume of the pan amounts to not much.
We could go to the wrecking yard and get 40 GM dipsticks and get 40 different readings.
A little over or under doesnt mean much.
The problem only occurs if its grossly over or under filled.
You're good, keep checking it and drive it
Ya I agree if it’s still shifting correctly then it must be a sign nothing is too out of order, but I guess only time will tell. I think I will keep checking on the fluid level after each drive, and if I start seeing small bubbles I will take it to the mechanic.
Thanks

thinger2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I think you are good but you do need to let it settle before you check it.
The same goes for many vehicles on oil or trans.
You can get a false reading that leads you to keep overfilling it.
Japanese cars are really bad about that.
You may also be getting bubbles from the synthetic separating from the petro based trans fluid.
Sometimes they dont mix well.
GM trans sticks can also be hard to read.
Since about 1960 or so they kinda suck
I still think its okay

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Sounds right to me. I run mine warm on the low end of the warm hash marks. My understanding is that overfull creates more issues with foaming, aeration, and puking out the case than being 8oz low. I pull pretty heavy too so wanted a little room for expansion. You should be good to go, but it never hurts to drop the pan and do a filter especially when the trans seems healthy.

GMCanada

Reaction score
Sounds right to me. I run mine warm on the low end of the warm hash marks. My understanding is that overfull creates more issues with foaming, aeration, and puking out the case than being 8oz low. I pull pretty heavy too so wanted a little room for expansion. You should be good to go, but it never hurts to drop the pan and do a filter especially when the trans seems healthy.
Ya good call, I was watching that YouTube channel 1road and was thinking about doing the fluid flush and filter change, but got a little worried after watching Chrisfix videos, as he speaks to new fluid causing issues if the old fluid is dirty, but I don’t think mine is. Anyways I think I will leave it and do the same flush and filter change as the 1road video in the new year.

Last edited:

Postmech

Reaction score
I had the engine out of mine recently and had a new torque convertor sitting around from a stalled project. Slight increase in stall speed so I changed it. Fluid was a little darker than new so I did a redneck flush( LOL) after I got it running. Has about 225.000 miles, not much metal on magnet, kept oil to lube stuff and chain on my saw. Works great. I added a factory cooler for trans years ago and only tow car trailer some. I am for regular trans fluid and filter changes for hard working trucks IMP. It's a 98 k1500 Cheyenne that I have been updating as parts can be found. Fluid Level is dependent on temp and splash inside trans and how long it sits when hot, just keep it between the marks or slightly above and it will be fine, follow owners manual procedure and don't sweat it.

Last edited:

thegawd

I'm Done!
Reaction score
is this a brand new transmission or used? the new synthetic transmission fluid, Dex VI supersedes all other "ATF" transmission fluid GM ever recommended in the user manuals of the passed.

The synthetic ATF is a completely different situation than the synthetic motor oil debate. the old atf fluid caused problems internally when it breaks down. the new atf, DeX VI with its friction modifiers helps maintain and protect the vulnerable parts inside. it also lubricates and cools the tranny more efficiently.

the original ac delco DeX VI didnt say anything at all on the bottle about being a synthetic fluid, all though it was. they discontinued this product, printed a new label, slapped it on the same bottle, with a different product number but the same fluid inside. a clever marketing ploy for all the people who want to see "Synthetic" on the bottle. who knows they could have increased the price as well.

Gm recommends DEX VI in all automatic transmissions passed and present.

(EDIT: as far as I know, the new trannys... the 8 speed?, may require something different as I see they were having shifting problems. but no worries, as of 2019 you dont get a atf dipstick to check so you dont get to know what fluid it uses. when you look it up in the owners manual I bet it says, "see dealer." LMFAO! I hate these new trucks even more right now!)

an overfilled tranny is not good, it should also puke it out the vent tube. always always trust the dipstick. if you question the level than make sure the grommet that holds the dipstick in place is fully inserted into its spot on the tranny. it can be a PITA to get fully seated.

apparently they say mixing old conventional atf with the new synthetic wont cause any harm whatsoever. that is probably because it will only improve the fluid overall.

Al

Last edited: