4L60E ... Have a question...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

94GMCK1500

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Be carefull. I would be really really leery about anybody who claims they can R&R the trans and transfer case and rebuild both including a torque converter and the chain and the rebuild kit and the labor for 1500 bucks.
I think good parts and fluids alone would eat up all of that 1500.
Do you know this guy and his reputation?
Do you have any recourse if this guy doesnt know what he is doing and tears your truck apart and feeds you ******** excuses for the next year?
The other spooky thing here is that you dont have to pay him untill it is done.
No reputable shop operates that way.
You need to make a down payment or finance it or provide a credit card.
The other thing to think about is the warranty on the work and the parts.
If it blows up a week after hes had it for six months of ******** excuses,
Will he answer the phone.
And I gaurantee you that anyone who operates that way will not be readdy to address your problems because they had no idea how to bid that job and they are "Stealing money to pay Paul"
That is the oldest **** shop, got ripped off, they ruined my car story ever.
Unless this guy is your Grandpa or your sister and you can beat them down at Thanksgiving,
Do not let some 1500 buck knucklehead anywhere near your truck.
Aint no way in hell that it doesnt go sideways on you.
Spend the money even if you have to finance it and make payments at a real shop.
This guy came recommended, has a warranty with papers 24/24K and the person who recommended works at a shop I called to get an estimate on rebuild... Transmission alone would be 1200 and the transfer case since it'll be out will be 300.00... Labor hours for r&r is 6.3 hours @75.00 an hr is 427.50...Even at 95.00 an hour rate is 598.50... The 4 or 7 shops I called for quote, the average rebuild was 1400.00 to 1900.00...I can see a guy doing it for that and not having to pay an overhead, lights, employee yadda yadda.... A gamble ? What isn't anymore... I appreciate and did get a laugh reading your post and yes I have heard and seen nearly all of that done to not only myself but people I know and stories I've read in magazines...

1995k15004x4

Reaction score
Anyone need a good transmission and transfer case for a 95 with the 4 bolt tail housing ??? Let me know... I'm in Evansville Indiana...
Yes I very much need this tranny I have a the 94 you need I believe just bought to put in my 95 and won’t work so maybe we can trade this morning win win right if we can make a deal I don’t have the 94 transfer case just my 95 I still need hopefully we can still swap out lmk bro I’ll seriously head out right now

Last edited:

tayto

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
'95 is a 1 year only trans. you can make other years work on it and vise versa but it takes a skilled builder and tuning to do so.

it's really best to get the same year trans or get your original rebuilt unless you know what you're doing.

94GMCK1500

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
'95 is a 1 year only trans. you can make other years work on it and vise versa but it takes a skilled builder and tuning to do so.

it's really best to get the same year trans or get your original rebuilt unless you know what you're doing.
I'm finding out that is the case with it.... I'm getting mine rebuilt and not fooling with it... lol...

thinger2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This guy came recommended, has a warranty with papers 24/24K and the person who recommended works at a shop I called to get an estimate on rebuild... Transmission alone would be 1200 and the transfer case since it'll be out will be 300.00... Labor hours for r&r is 6.3 hours @75.00 an hr is 427.50...Even at 95.00 an hour rate is 598.50... The 4 or 7 shops I called for quote, the average rebuild was 1400.00 to 1900.00...I can see a guy doing it for that and not having to pay an overhead, lights, employee yadda yadda.... A gamble ? What isn't anymore... I appreciate and did get a laugh reading your post and yes I have heard and seen nearly all of that done to not only myself but people I know and stories I've read in magazines...
I just looked and saw that you were in Evansville Indiana.
Thats a whole lot better than trying to get that done in Seattle, Washington.
A much better chance that he actually knows his business and how to do it.
A rebuild R&R up here would be 3500 to 4000 bucks at the minimum.
But we have to do those things ourselves because nobody knows how to and they dont want to try.
Soak up all of that old school knowledge from those guys you can get.
In my experiance folks in that part of the country have gone way the hell out of thier way to help me out and teach me things.
I was stuck in Indiana for a week back in 1986.
From a friggen gmc diesal.
Did not now anybody at all.
A punk kid from Seattle.
I was snowing like i have never seen snow before.
It was to me just insane crazy and windy.
So Im stuck and trying to hike out the door to find a motel.
The service manager stopped my stupid ass from doing that.
Took me home and took me in and his wife had made a huge casserole beef pot pie with grilled veggies and salad and some kind of a jello pistachio nut whipped cream thing.
Which was actually really good.
In Seattle or LA or Chicago that would never happen.

94GMCK1500

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just looked and saw that you were in Evansville Indiana.
Thats a whole lot better than trying to get that done in Seattle, Washington.
A much better chance that he actually knows his business and how to do it.
A rebuild R&R up here would be 3500 to 4000 bucks at the minimum.
But we have to do those things ourselves because nobody knows how to and they dont want to try.
Soak up all of that old school knowledge from those guys you can get.
In my experiance folks in that part of the country have gone way the hell out of thier way to help me out and teach me things.
I was stuck in Indiana for a week back in 1986.
From a friggen gmc diesal.
Did not now anybody at all.
A punk kid from Seattle.
I was snowing like i have never seen snow before.
It was to me just insane crazy and windy.
So Im stuck and trying to hike out the door to find a motel.
The service manager stopped my stupid ass from doing that.
Took me home and took me in and his wife had made a huge casserole beef pot pie with grilled veggies and salad and some kind of a jello pistachio nut whipped cream thing.
Which was actually really good.
In Seattle or LA or Chicago that would never happen.
I thought I'd give an update if anyone was interested.... If not, then it'll save me the typing... lol...

94GMCK1500

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Transmission update...... Got it rebuilt with lines and cooler getting a 9 hour hot flush... Found coolant still in a claimed rebuild...Anyway, 2450.00 out of pocket for it.... Runs great, shifts great and rolls right on down the road.... Like many older trucks, issues arise... I have another thread about that one...