4L60E ... Have a question...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

94GMCK1500

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
During the recent cold snap, I started my truck and after a few minutes went to shift into reverse. Nothing happened. After sitting a few more minutes while running it decided to shift into gear and take off as if nothing happened... Last evening I was driving it, hit the throttle to leave a light and it felt little sluggish... No slip feel, just sluggish.... Shifts into gear fine and runs down the highway, you goose it and it feels sluggish.... Any thoughts ?

94GMCK1500

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fluid level
I checked that an it was on the mark with a healthy color. Although something new happened since this post. I took it out this evening and wanted to make sure I didn't have a fuel issue for the sluggish feel. I dropped it in low gear 2HI, when accelerating I heard a foul noise. Low sort of growl but not a growl of bearings grinding... So I'm thinking the transmission is smoked and possibly the transfer case could have some issues so pulling one might as well pull the other also... Project ? I don't know...

94GMCK1500

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
some transmissions dont need/have to be running. A th350 in my buick for example has dipstick markings for running and not running and hot /cold
Let me re-phrase that.... Last time I checked, the year , make and model with engine 5.7 liter with a 4L60E is checked when running and best to check when at operating temperature. Yes, I checked again today and it was full... I am in full belief the transmission is smoked...

MMcc

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
One thing at a time, right? Why would you assume the transfer case is kaput?

I went the reman route and swapped it in myself. While the TC was out, I took it to the rebuilder to have the seals replaced. He pulled out a busted lock ring too -- said he's never had one of these out and seen the lock ring intact.