4L60E Compatibility?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tayto

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks for the tip about the guy in Red Deer. Unfortunately I'm in GVR. That would be a heck of a trip to get there.

Not only we r getting ripped off her but the quality of most repair shops is questionable at best, don't even get me started about dealerships.

It would be nice if I could verify somehow that the one from the 98 blazer fits in my car.

Getting a picture of the label if the other tranny would probably help establishing compatibility?
Parts alone for a decent build is going to be $1500 + torque converter (another $500-1000 for something decent). I am near YVR, I build units as a hobby but am currently swamped with other projects probably until next spring (hopefully buying a place so trying to get everything mobile). I can also vac test valve bodies and a few other things that no local shops seem to do.

BC K1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Parts alone for a decent build is going to be $1500 + torque converter (another $500-1000 for something decent). I am near YVR, I build units as a hobby but am currently swamped with other projects probably until next spring (hopefully buying a place so trying to get everything mobile). I can also vac test valve bodies and a few other things that no local shops seem to do.
Hi,
it is a small world after all, I'm in Burnaby. :D
Would you mind me sending you a DM in the future in case I need some info on these transmissions?
Thanks.

BC K1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I got the transmission code from the fellow but I'm perplexed, as I cant seem to find any 4L60E whit a "8TAD tag. :confused:

You must be registered for see images attach

Would this be compatible whit my 98 K1500 4x4?

Thanks.

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm no help but the case looks broken

My 4l60e 2wd is solid in the bottom where the inspection cover is

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Also look on the right side of the trans. Normally it will say 4l60e or have the serial number

MMcc

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
It sure looks like the k1500 4L60E I had out last year, although the bell housing casting is different - note the splines at each bolt hole.
I paid $1200 USD for my reman and that came with a warranty, torque converter, and new trans cooler. I put it in myself to save the $2k labor. Would your local shop honor a similar deal? IDK what the savings is worth to you, but might be something to consider to know it's right. The guy at the Tranny Shop might give you an honest answer to the compatibility question too.
That swap was a lot of work, especially without a lift. I'm no master mechanic and there was nothing terribly tricky about it - just a lot of freaking work. If you go that route, feel free to PM me to talk about a couple lessons that I wish the videos and writeups prepared me for.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Like Suburbans mentioned, says so on right side. This is a 1998 4L60E.

BC K1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm no help but the case looks broken

My 4l60e 2wd is solid in the bottom where the inspection cover is
Thank you for pointing it out, it indeed looks like a chunk is missing at the bottom.
I could possibly reuse the bell housing from my transmission?
Also look on the right side of the trans. Normally it will say 4l60e or have the serial number
I haven't looked at it personally yet as it is located about 1h drive from me. I wanted to make sure that it is compatible whit my car before driving all the way to check it out.
The code of 8TAD really confused me as the "8" is the year, the "D" is for 4L60e, but I couldn't find any info about what the "TA" stands for.

It sure looks like the k1500 4L60E I had out last year, although the bell housing casting is different - note the splines at each bolt hole.
I paid $1200 USD for my reman and that came with a warranty, torque converter, and new trans cooler. I put it in myself to save the $2k labor. Would your local shop honor a similar deal? IDK what the savings is worth to you, but might be something to consider to know it's right. The guy at the Tranny Shop might give you an honest answer to the compatibility question too.
That swap was a lot of work, especially without a lift. I'm no master mechanic and there was nothing terribly tricky about it - just a lot of freaking work. If you go that route, feel free to PM me to talk about a couple lessons that I wish the videos and writeups prepared me for.
I think the splines just look different because the difference in angle and lighting between the two pictures?

Thank you for the offer, It is a very low budget operation for me and I would love to put it in myself to save money, unfortunately I just don't have the space to do the work, also i would need a lift as you mentioned.
I will most likely have to pay someone to do so. I found one shop willing to do the swap for $1300 or 2900 to rebuild it. I will have to see how much I can get the used one for, maybe it is not even economical to buy used and just go for the rebuild.?

BC K1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Like Suburbans mentioned, says so on right side. This is a 1998 4L60E.

So, to boil it down;
As long as it is a 1998 4l60e it will fit in my Suburban, doesn't matter what car it came out of?