4L60E Compatibility?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BC K1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hi,
It looks like my transmission went bad. Burning smell, not shifting up, etc..

I have a 98 K1500 4x4 suburban and a 4L60E transmission.
The shops around me quoting $3200+tax for a rebuild to be put in.
I don't have that that kind of $$$ to spend on this old girl.
I found locally someone selling a 4L60E for a reasonable price from a 98 Chevy blazer 4x4 that was rebuilt 10k ago.

My question is... are all the 4L60E transmissions the same? Can I just buy the one from the Blazer and drop it in?

Thank you

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Think your good then. How much for transmission?

BC K1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Would the bell housing be the same or would I have to use the one from mine?
The guy is asking 800.

Brothajack93

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hi,
It looks like my transmission went bad. Burning smell, not shifting up, etc..

I have a 98 K1500 4x4 suburban and a 4L60E transmission.
The shops around me quoting $3200+tax for a rebuild to be put in.
I don't have that that kind of $$$ to spend on this old girl.
I found locally someone selling a 4L60E for a reasonable price from a 98 Chevy blazer 4x4 that was rebuilt 10k ago.

My question is... are all the 4L60E transmissions the same? Can I just buy the one from the Blazer and drop it in?

Thank you
Damn dude that’s rough…. It’s prices like that why I’m starting with cheap and learning to do these things myself by trial and error. Everything in Canada, especially some parts of bc is unreasonably expensive. I know there’s a really skilled guy outside of Red Deer, AB that’s still in business and sells gm transmissions that he rebuilds and warranties. He runs a licensed business out of his home shop on his acreage. He doesn’t like to drop or install at all and the price he quotes for that reflects it. I don’t even know if he’s willing to anymore as this was 10 years ago and he was no spring chicken then. But I’m sure that’s too far for you to go for a trans and I have no idea where you are geographically. I wouldn’t want to drive through those mountains again at all this time of year unless I had a damn good reason to. But if you’re ever looking for a rebuilt trans with specific upgrades to suit your needs and have a warranty to go with it he’s definitely a consideration for travel in western canada. Joined the Alberta obs page to peep the market for future projects in better body shape after moving to Ontario and seeing the body shape of most trucks here and 10 years after I picked up a transmission for a friend from him come to see that he’s still very active and comes highly praised and recommended in the Alberta obs community and has built guys some really good “bulletproof” setups (their words not mine). My cheap old man friend had zero issues covering fuel for my gas guzzler to do 5 hours driving to get it either so he must have good pricing. His name is Rodger. I forget the specifics of the business name but you can find him by google search if Rodger transmission Red Deere. I’ve seen and heard quite a few horror stories of “rebuilt” transmissions even from professional sources sometimes so it’s nice to know a little guy with a reputation

BC K1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks for the tip about the guy in Red Deer. Unfortunately I'm in GVR. That would be a heck of a trip to get there.

Not only we r getting ripped off her but the quality of most repair shops is questionable at best, don't even get me started about dealerships.

It would be nice if I could verify somehow that the one from the 98 blazer fits in my car.

Getting a picture of the label if the other tranny would probably help establishing compatibility?

BC K1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Both 5.7?
I'm not sure about the blazer. I'm waiting for the guy to get back to me.

However according to google the blazer come only whit a 4.3L V6 engine.
I'll know more once the guy gets back to me.

TY

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure about the blazer. I'm waiting for the guy to get back to me.

However according to google the blazer come only whit a 4.3L V6 engine.
I'll know more once the guy gets back to me.

TY

Did GM use fewer clutch plates / steel plates in the 4.3 versions?

Regardless, is there any need to swap the valve body from the original trans (after a thorough cleaning)? Accumulator springs differ?

Last edited: