454ss tranny problems?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

motaa

Reaction score
Well im new here since I decided to join because I just purchased a 1990 454 ss two weeks ago.. but I came across a problem this morning coming back from work so I wana see if I can get some input from people here.

As i was doing 90 on the highway I felt a sudden slip on the tranny and when I tried to accelerate I felt as it was in neutral. I came to a stop and then noticed my tranny did not wana get out of first gear... It accelerated but stays in first gear.. I was wondering if any one had know of a similar problem and what will be the problem here.. i wana prepare myself as to what i will need to do...

I belive it is a TH400 tranny.

Thanks

kn1ght

Banned
Reaction score
Well im new here since I decided to join because I just purchased a 1990 454 ss two weeks ago.. but I came across a problem this morning coming back from work so I wana see if I can get some input from people here.

As i was doing 90 on the highway I felt a sudden slip on the tranny and when I tried to accelerate I felt as it was in neutral. I came to a stop and then noticed my tranny did not wana get out of first gear... It accelerated but stays in first gear.. I was wondering if any one had know of a similar problem and what will be the problem here.. i wana prepare myself as to what i will need to do...

I belive it is a TH400 tranny.

Thanks

Have you checked the tv cable on the driver side by the tb? Maybe that snapped for some weird reason.

Rusty Shacklefurd has spoken via tapatalk.

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No TV cable on the TH400, just a kickdown linkage and a vacuum modulator. Sounds like she's toast, to me.

outalne94z71

Bouncing Truck Maker
Reaction score
No TV cable on the TH400, just a kickdown linkage and a vacuum modulator. Sounds like she's toast, to me.

no kickdown linkage, its a electric switch on the older ones on the go petal, the 88-90 trucks have the kickdown switch as part of the throttle position sensor wiring

will the trans shift if you do it manually?

Last edited:

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Meh, shows you what I know! Got the 350 and the 400 backwards...

motaa

Reaction score
no kickdown linkage, its a electric switch on the older ones on the go petal, the 88-90 trucks have the kickdown switch as part of the throttle position sensor wiring

will the trans shift if you do it manually?

No it wont go into second even if I try to do it manually.... I check the vacuum line and i dont see a leak.. Could it just be the modulator? or is it really gone?

outalne94z71

Bouncing Truck Maker
Reaction score
if it wont go manually then you have something hosed, even with the modulator disconnected it would shift manually but on a good note the th400 is really cheap to rebuild

WFO4X4

Banned
Reaction score
but the problem is.... it's STILL a tranny...... and i personaly don't like em..... even if they are cheap....

rhino

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If it won't shift, snatch the govenor out. Most likely the plastic gear has stripped. Also, you can try unpluging the wire on the side for the kickdown. It is known to go bad and the transmission thinks it's supposed to be in passing gear at all times. If still no shift, let us know. Is reverse good?