454 swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Brice Edwards

Reaction score
hey everyone. I got a 98 k3500 cclb with a 350 and I'm looking to put a 454 into it. The 454 is out of a 97 k2500. What I need to know is will the harness and computer plug in to the 98 without issue? looking to do the swap as cheaply as possible.

ZRoe

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I think the computers changed slightly for 98-99. Not sure how that would affect the harness. I think the airbags changed as well?
I understand it may not sound like the cheapest option at first but jumping straight into a 0411 ECM swap might be beneficial as it will allow you to focus on the 0411 instead of worrying about the differences between 97 & 98.

Sent from my moto e5 supra using Tapatalk

MIHELA

1-5-6-3-4-2-7-8
Reaction score
The wiring will be different enough to be a pain, the 454 is MPFI and the 350 has the spider. If you have whole harnesses it will just be a matter of consulting diagrams and making minor adjustments. Service manuals are pretty helpful there.

Brice Edwards

Reaction score
I have the harness and computer. So what your saying is that the 97 harness won't plug into the 98 truck without modification

ZRoe

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I would suspect some small changes in transmission or transfer case wiring because of the different computers.
Not saying it won't fit as there are plenty of guys who have done swaps with even more drastic combinations than this. Just trying to point out any gotchas we can think of.
Having the harness and computer out if the 97 helps a bunch. If you can get yourself a couple of service manuals (ideally one for each year) you should be able to figure it out from there.

Sent from my moto e5 supra using Tapatalk