4 Row radiator install, small problem, help needed.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Seosamh

Reaction score
Hello all.
I'm looking for a source or part number for what I believe is a 1/2" UNF male x 1/2" SPT female adapter. Looked on line for hours with no proper result. I don't want to take the easy way by cutting off the oem threaded end fitting. Maybe I'm using the wrong key words in my search for the end that requires an O-ring. Any reply would be greatly appreciated, Thanks.

Also t
You must be registered for see images attach
he Fitting in the photo is what the Radiator came with, the opposite end of it is the quick release type.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
There's a lot going on there...

a British pipe thread (BSPP, UNF, and other o-ring pipe threads) are always o-ringed on the flange, not in inside mating surface.

And that fitting that came with the radiator looks like it has the same geometry of a flared brake line. I spent some time on McMaster trying to find that style fitting with an o-ring on the inside and nothing is showing anything resembling that fitting. The only thing it looks like is a large double flared 45 degree fitting (Brake line) that they stuffed an o-ring in for some reason.

Click on the top "How to measure pipe fittings" tab on the top of this page...

And lastly, does that radiator come with a good return policy? If so, please consider using it before it expires. There are multiple things going on in your pics and it being 4-core aluminum that makes it a wallet-lightening marketing display piece. There are much better options out there.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
4-core aluminum isnt needed unless its 6" thick. 4-Core was only needed back in the brass radiator days. Brass would burst after 5/8" wide cores, Aluminum can handle 1.5" easily. More cores equals more turbulence which means more resistance and less cooling efficiency.

... only one of the reasons I would highly recommend return it ASAP.

After looking over your post again, I almost bet that adaptor that came with the radiator is a 45 degree flared compression fitting to Ny-Lock push-lock adaptor. Nobody ever uses push-lock for engine oil or trans oil for very obvious reasons.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Isn't that the same style of fitting as used on GM PS gears and GM fuel plumbing? Perhaps not the same size--although it might be.

Similar to the O-ring end of THIS:

www.summitracing.com/parts/dsr-090202lds

You'd need the O-ring end with the right threads and O-ring size, and the female end able to accept an inverse flare of the correct thread size and tubing diameter.

As said, a "4-row" aluminum radiator is just silly.

Seosamh

Reaction score
There's a lot going on there...

a British pipe thread (BSPP, UNF, and other o-ring pipe threads) are always o-ringed on the flange, not in inside mating surface.

And that fitting that came with the radiator looks like it has the same geometry of a flared brake line. I spent some time on McMaster trying to find that style fitting with an o-ring on the inside and nothing is showing anything resembling that fitting. The only thing it looks like is a large double flared 45 degree fitting (Brake line) that they stuffed an o-ring in for some reason.

Click on the top "How to measure pipe fittings" tab on the top of this page...

And lastly, does that radiator come with a good return policy? If so, please consider using it before it expires. There are multiple things going on in your pics and it being 4-core aluminum that makes it a wallet-lightening marketing display piece. There are much better options out there.
Thanks for your help. I was getting ready to weld a 1/2" 20 female fitting to the adapter in the photo when I realized the adapter it came with is two piece. I unthreaded the quick release part and now all that is needed is common 1/2" 20 NPT female x 5/8" male adapter. Embarrassing that I didn't notice this sooner rather than wasting everyone's time here in the forum.

Seosamh

Reaction score
Isn't that the same style of fitting as used on GM PS gears and GM fuel plumbing? Perhaps not the same size--although it might be.

Similar to the O-ring end of THIS:

www.summitracing.com/parts/dsr-090202lds

You'd need the O-ring end with the right threads and O-ring size, and the female end able to accept an inverse flare of the correct thread size and tubing diameter.

As said, a "4-row" aluminum radiator is just silly.
Thanks for your help. I was getting ready to weld a 1/2" 20 female fitting to the adapter in the photo when I realized the adapter it came with is two piece. I unthreaded the quick release part and now all that is needed is common 1/2" 20 NPT female x 5/8" male adapter. Embarrassing that I didn't notice this sooner rather than wasting everyone's time here in the forum.

Seosamh

Reaction score
4-core aluminum isnt needed unless its 6" thick. 4-Core was only needed back in the brass radiator days. Brass would burst after 5/8" wide cores, Aluminum can handle 1.5" easily. More cores equals more turbulence which means more resistance and less cooling efficiency.

... only one of the reasons I would highly recommend return it ASAP.

After looking over your post again, I almost bet that adaptor that came with the radiator is a 45 degree flared compression fitting to Ny-Lock push-lock adaptor. Nobody ever uses push-lock for engine oil or trans oil for very obvious reasons.